Budget Wastegates; any of them usable?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Sea Squirrel, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

As above really, we're trying to keep costs down at this stage as just found out when payment for this season of Outlaws is needed by so some of my build budget just vanished up it's own arse.

Are any of the eBay special 46mm Wastegates actually any good or are they all total trash?

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Lots of people rate the em USA tial reps on ebay have two mates bought them but not been ran for any length of time yet so can't say first hand.

3. Shane_s

Shane_s Member

ive got a 35mm genuine Tial here with v-band fittings, clamps included. I'd let go of it your looking for something genuine at decent money. We ran it on our Audi BTCC engine before we changed engine. Cant remember what spring in it but i should be able to dig out the spec later.

4. big_si

big_si Member

Been running an ebay special wastegate (38mm I think?) for like 4 years now and it's been fine.

Nice sig by the way ;)

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

From experience the only genuine one I'd bother with is Turbosmart.

I've found (many times unfortunately) legit Tial and HKS ones leak about as bad as any moody Chinese eBay one.

Both need dismantling and re-assembling nicer to not leak before using IMO.

Problem is 99% of people never know if they're leaking from the air ports etc, as they test em.

6. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Okay, that's all good info. 46mm sound MASSIVE to me but I don't really have my head around wastegate sizing really so don't know how much of an issue it'll really be. Is that so big it'll struggle with response or, as the manifold already has that fitting, is it just the right way to go?

7. s50b30

s50b30 Member

When you say leak, where does it leak?
    In the valve guide?

8. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Member

I run a turbosmart compgate 40mm on my 1jz, it wasn't that expensive and is really well made/compact.

I guess with ebay/cheap parts they can last 5 minutes or 4 years, but is it worth saving a few £££ on such a critical part that could put you out of a competition?