E34 starter drift car enquiries

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by marki, Mar 16, 2016.

1. marki

marki New Member

Well.

I am looking to get a car for drifting some time near the beginning or summer. Very much a budget car. I've been thinking an e36 318is would be a good start, or anything above a 318is, it all depends on what's available at the time. Probably won't spend much more than €1k on buying the car.

However there is an e34 518i available for stupid (low) money at the moment. Diff is already welded.

Worth snatching it?

My thoughts are,
    Grab it, cheap ass coilovers, try stiffen everything up as much as I can (I know a lot of welders) and pump the tyres up.
    It's cheap enough that I could afford an ecu chip, cams and injectors too.

This is purely for hockeying around the track with mates a few times a year.

Any good advice out there? Are they any good at all? Will I be wasting my time trying to mod a 518i?

If you see this and post "why not just get a v8 or a 328 or a Lamborghini" or something, please die first.

2. Aidan_G

Aidan_G Member

1. posted this in the wrong section
    2. 318is will drift no problem with a bit of welly and 50psi in rear tyres
    3. 518i wouldnt pull the socks of a dead person since they have m40 engines which are 8v and about 100hp odd and being an e34 as they weigh more than e36s

pressuming youre from ireland since you used € instead of £ you should get this. put €500 into it and youve a car that will last you forever since its an m50 non vanos which are pretty much indestructible

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-drift-car-unfinished/11774680

3. Gooly

Gooly Member

From experience, a 518i will skid in the dry with big commitment and 70+psi in the rears.

4. marki

marki New Member

Cheers lads!!