Recovery Trucks?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by jonny mac, Mar 28, 2016.

1. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

hi guys, who has a flatbed / beaver tail truck that they use to run cars around to drift tracks?

looking for some advice on what's crap/what to buy

I recently bought a jeep to do my trailer test in but didn't bother in the end and sold it

easiest option is buy a transit or something with ramps

my license is just the basic 3.5 tonne one and also my car weighs 1450kg cause of the heavy jz and cage etc

any advice would be good + pics etc?

thanks
    jonny.

2. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Problem you will run into is... That once you have your car, spares, wheels, tools etc on the back of a Beavertail you will very likely be overweight.
    A trailer license would allow you to have a panel van loaded with spares, then be able to pull your car on a trailer.

3. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

plus most old transits are knackered.

4. Michael7s

Michael7s Member

problem with 3,5t recovery trucks is weight. Most of them are overloaded at all times. Usually they are 2100-2500kg empty, plus your car, not adding wheels 20-25kg each, tools. Unless it's kind of modern van with light alloy bed.
    Also, you have to pay insurance,tax, even when using 1-2 times a month
    You can use a towing car every day

5. enginebuilder

enginebuilder Active Member

Buy a car transporter trailer and get ur test done!! I already had a class 2 hgv licence so instead of doing a trailer test I did my class one so that's also an option for you buddy. Plus you will have that under your belt for life. You can drive a tanker then if u wish lol :wack:

6. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

you must have a really shit truck if yours weighs 2500kg my old movano was 1900 with a full tank and tools.
    my tilt and slide is only 2250

trailers just get pinched

some people might not want to drive round in a tow car as they tend to be massive and thirsty.