CA20E Transmissions? what will fit?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by RCMads, May 3, 2016.

1. RCMads

RCMads New Member

As the title says.. i need a manual gearbox for my s12, im running the ca20e engine.

DONT say ''swap to ca18 or sr20'' i KNOW that..

So my question is, what will fit the ca20e? A ca18?
    I cant seem to find a manual ca20e trans in europe, and i got told that it only good for 200hp, thats not good enough when my plan is to build a drift car.. so i need a stronger one

hope you will answer this please!

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

If you have a box for it and access to the machinery you could cut and weld any box.
    Bmw boxes are nice and strong just leaves you with sourcing a clutch. So long as your flywheel and pressure plate are big enough to take a bmw friction plate it could be fairly straight forward.

3. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

i think better and cheaper for you is to find ca18det with trans
    in this days is cheap you can find engine - trans less than 1000e
    is stronger that you have and easier solutiopn for you
    dont mix it with other trans anyway later in the future as you say you want to be a drifter your engine you have
    you have to be replace it is not turbo ca20e has 100-105 ps ?? it is waek for turbo
    in the other hand ca18 if you spend some money on it you can make a strong engine for drift
    my opinion is this go for ca18det

4. RCMads

RCMads New Member

thanks for the answer.. but a ca18det swap in my country cost about 2000dollars.. and when i only have about 1000dollars a month for the next 6-8 month then its not possible to make a swap, so thats why i need a cheap box

Andy318ti: do you think i can use my auto trans and cut off the end of the box and find a box from a m50b20-b25 and use?

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

If it will fit yeah.
    When fitting to a jz some kits use an extension to make the input shaft meet the spigot bearing. If your doing it custom you can cut the belhousing short enough to allow the shaft to engage.

It's not as simple as attack with a grinder though, can be done but better with a bandsaw and a jig to rotate the box.

Then it will need to be tig welded together.