Buying an impact wrench, but how much nm is ideal for me?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by pitesy, May 13, 2016.

1. pitesy

pitesy Member

Hello,

hope you can help me out a bit with this one. :)

Until now I have always used the penetration fluid + breaker bar method, which mostly worked, but I don't really have a lot of time on working on my cars, decided to cut some time with using an impact wrench.

I do deal with lots of rusty bolts, flywheel bolts, subframe bolts, etc. so ideally I would like to remove these with ease.
    How much nm would be ideal for my purpose? I mostly would use it just to remove stuff, not to torque them down as I'm quite anal about torque specs.

Either electic, or air powered is fine, I have a compressor. The minimum I thought was 600nm, but you can also get good deals on the 1000nm ones (I'm afraid of this one a bit being to powerful, don't want to snap bolts, but I may be completely wrong on the subject).

Any input and help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards from Hungary
    István

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I use a milwaukee cordless it's a beast. Yet to find a bolt it can't beat.
    As for torque buy the biggest you can afford without going truck spec.
    Have mates with the cheaper ones they do fine but battery's die after prolonged use. Snap on I find overrated. Ingersoll rand is good too.

#2 Andy318ti, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. Ikeaaxel

Ikeaaxel Member

Another vote for Milwaukee, I've got the both the biggest one they do and the compact one. Compact one is good for most things and theirs nothing the big version can't shift. One thing that's worth considering is if you would look at buying into any of their other tools as batteries are interchangeable.

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

A windy gun is going to be stronger than an electric one, but obviously is less portable.

5. pitesy

pitesy Member

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Will settle for an air impact gun at the end, as portability is not an issue for me. I have found some 800nm guns for a reasonable price, they have to do the trick (an are not truck-spec yet). I guess the better cordless ones tend to have around 600nm, so 800nm has to do the trick. :) Thanks again!

6. rahulkentonn

rahulkentonn New Member

great post !