Spot the RB25DET NEO?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by guwop, Jun 2, 2016.

1. guwop

guwop New Member

hey lads

First post - tried searching but couldn't find a definite answer, so I hope someone more knowledgeable can help.

I'm about to look at an R32 Skyrice this weekend. The owner claims it has a RB25DET NEO and wants top dollar because it's built even though it has throttle body issues and/or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Seeing as I've got a history of euro cars and rotarys I'm having trouble trying to decipher if he's telling the truth about whether it is a NEO or just a standard RB25. I've read to check the CAS as it's plastic and to me it looks like it might not be, but with limited experience and without going to see it I can't exactly tell. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Mikey637

Mikey637 Member

CAS looks different to my non-neo rb25. Is the breather on the right rocker cover just open? Could be an issue

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

That's a Neo.

Or at least it's got a Neo CAS and Neo cambelt cover (its got the ribs along the top, normal RB25s haven't).

Is it a Neo DET, or DE with a turbo added? Is it in good condition? Who knows.

Breather is open, and hole in intake pipe between filter and turbo by looks of.

4. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Good spot on the breather, but is it running a maf? Doesn't look like it so the intake hole shouldn't make a difference.

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

See if you can spot the block number that's down next to the bellhousing under the exhaust (on the machined flat part that kicks out). Find a local Nissan parts dealer and quote the engine number and see what it come up with / google it yourself

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

It's not got a MAF, but it's got a hole to suck in unfiltered air. Still a shit thing regardless. May as well not have a filter.

7. H05TYL

H05TYL Member

Wants top dollar for a car that's not running right?

What the fuck is wrong with people.

It may be built, but if the owner can't be bothered getting it running properly before trying to sell it you've got to wonder where else corners have been cut.
    You could try using the shitty running as a reason to give him a low ball offer and hope he bites, but you'll probably be wasting your time.

I'd leave it and find another one that's either running perfectly, or cheap enough to be worth the hassle of fixing.

8. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

Unless you know 100% it's an easy fix, walk away. There's plenty of other cars out there that you can go for that will come without Unknown issues. In my experience a lesser spec'd car that runs perfect is better than a car with lots of posh parts that has issues. The extra shinies won't count for anything if they don't work!

9. Pilkboid

Pilkboid Member

Like everyone said. Neo or not. Built motor or not. Its top $$$ for a car thats not running right. How long does it really take to bung up a small hole to stop un filtered air reaching the turbo? Throttle body/vacume issues? Wouldnt bother sounds like a ball ache if you looking for somthing you can just jump in and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk