£7000 shopping list for S14 Silvia. What would you buy?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Loaf_, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Loaf_

Loaf_ New Member

What would you buy? I was thinking of geomasters, cd009 box, gt2871r, nistune, forged internals (possibly stroked), and I don't know what else. I want the best power to reliability ratio.
    I use the car as a occasional daily as I work away from home with some drift days in between. In the future I might enter in an amateur drift series too.

I can do a lot of the work of fitting shit myself so would only need a machine shop to bore/hone the block etc
    The car is a 1994 Silvia.
    Current modifications are as follows.

S15 front with brand new genuine headlights, new carbon bonnet.
    New Garrett gt2560r turbo with around 5000 miles
    GTR fuel pump
    Front mount intercooler
    Sard fuel pressure reg
    Nismo lca's and tension rods
    All other arms are Driftworks
    Skyline brake conversion all round project mu pads
    Nardi wheel
    Straight through exhaust
    Decat
    HKS super power flow induction kit
    Gab revo coilovers
    Apexi rsm
    Apexi avc-r
    oil pressure, temp and water temp gauges
    Yashio factory digital water temp gauge
    ORC 559 twin plate clutch
    Nismo 2 way,
    18x10.5j +12 on rear and 18x9.5j +15 on the front.
    I have a set of brand new 650cc injectors to go in it as well when I'm getting it mapped.

#1 Loaf_, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

If it was me spending the money go with what you have get a Stage 3a set up so GT2871r , Manifold , straight through exhaust , induction , some kind of boost control and 720cc nismo injectors etc, you will get around 350bhp and many are comfortably running this on un opened engines some are even close to 400 and no signs so id scrap the forged pistons and that save some money.
    You might start to feel the gearbox start to strain especially giving it abuse while drifting but there are many conversion plates available wich use the RB25 box or the Z32 box wich would be a good option.
    From my own experience the thing that made the most positive improvement was sorting out the foot work , a decent set of coilovers , Rose jointed upper and lower arms , if you want to go with the Geomasters (although ive not run them heard nothing but praise) solid diff mounts and uprated ARB's etc depends how far you want to go.

End of the day its your choice wich route you want to go dude :thumbs:

3. Loaf_

Loaf_ New Member

Already have the exhaust, decat, induction kit, coilovers, all rose jointed arms all round.

I don't think i'd have any decent grade of reliability at 400hp on standard internals. Don't the ring lands have a habbit of cracking at those kind of figures.

4. ali///art

ali///art Member

If this was me, my next step with £7k would be to buy a shitty tow van and trailer, and a cheap ass daily. Would save a fortune in the long run, tow to events, sleep in van, have no worries about smashing drift car to pieces, can still get to work with cheap ass daily. Or an estate car as tow vehicle and daily, kill two birds with one stone.

Just my 2 pence worth :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

Yeah i said decent coilovers and didn't see that in your original post.

I said people are comfortably inferring reliably running 350bhp :nod: . Some people run more though think if my old memory serves me right Polo did a full BDC Season running 400bhp on a un opened SR before it finally gave up , there really decent if you look after them but he went through a shit load of box's thats why i suggested maybe upgrading that. If your dead set on forging your motor then you might want to look at a different Turbo set up wich could give you more power than the 2871r but then your going to need to look at other parts aswell the thing is you could easily end up dumping your 7k into just that. I tryed to give you my opinion and id spread the money out to make a all round better car not just great in one area and lacking in others.
    To be fair id probably sell the 14 take the cash and your 7k and buy something already built and save a shit ton of work , cash and have more for my money. Like i said your choice just don't do what i and a lot of people do start on a mega build and then the car ends up sat in a garage half its life when you could of kept things simple and got out driving it :thumbs:

Edit: didn't see in your original post if you have one or not but goes with out saying if your drifting a welded diff or a 2-way what ever your preference will be so much better than standard.

#5 lewyS14a, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. Loaf_

Loaf_ New Member

I'm getting a Hilux and a trailer. This money is just for the car and I'm not selling it.

I was even thinking of a 1 or 2j swap with the cd009 box.

7. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

I give up :nod:

8. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Haha! :)

My only advice to the OP, sit down and think about exactly what you think from the car. Getting lots of power is great, but only if the car itself is up together.

PS: £7k will soon vanish on an engine build. And I'm speaking first hand here :p

9. Loaf_

Loaf_ New Member

Well maybe it would have helped if you had of read my opening post. You suggested getting a boost controller when i said i have an avc-r, you said get injectors when I already have 650cc's. You said i'd have to upgrade the gearbox when I know this as I said in the first line I want a cd009. I said I had all driftworks and nismo arms and you said get some rose jointed arms.

Full engine rebuild kit is about £1600 with forged pistons and rods, acl bearings, arp studs, nissan oil pump rotor, nissan water pump, timing chain kit. Nistune fitted and mapped - 600. GT2871R is £600 but i'd probably go with a bigger turbo if I built the engine. Factor another £500 for machine work.

Geomasters are around £900, cs2's £900, cd009 £1300, mazworks kit £1200.

That brings me to £7600 in parts and i'd get a reliable 450 hp all day long with the suspension and gearbox to get the best out of it.

I just wanted other opinions if there was a better way to spend it like a complete engine swap.

#9 Loaf_, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016