what next for an s13??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by s13rab, Jan 21, 2005.

1. s13rab

s13rab DORI DORI

hello,

im looking for some advice on what todo next to make the car more suited to drift....so far ive a set of npg adjustable coilovers (pillow ball mounts), strut braces front and rear as well and lower rear ....but what should i do next ?? my cars a 1992 model so it has a lsd but what about a 1.5 way kazza or cusco diff??? do they really make that much difference??? cos from all the drift vids ive watched it seems that when they flick their cars the cars go out soo soo easy .... :confused:

2. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

diffs are the shizzle. you should have got one first! go buy one right now :nod: :D

3. s13rab

s13rab DORI DORI

honestly are they really that good??? what do u reckon is the best one to get ?? where do u get them and for how much??? ive seen them on american sites but to get them shipped its very very expensive :(

4. matt

its by far the best thing I've done to my car. better than coilovers, SR20, and getting the wheels aligned :eek:

cusco, nismo, ATS, Kaaz etc are all excellent, just read up their characteristics to decide which is best for you:)

5. YorkshireRam

YorkshireRam Harry Loves Ewe

i'll just have an s14 lsd on mine, I assume that's usuable enough to start off with?

6. matt

I had an S14 diff for nigh on 2 years, did good in the wet and was ok in the dry. I'd still keep a savings fund going for a proper diff though:)

7. Miro

Miro Member

S13rab: 2 way LSD! That's my next mod. Although Fooking Expensive, your never going to get drifting properly without one I recon. Changes the handling characteristics of the car. Matt would be able to tell you about that. Since I've never driven one with :D But from studying Countless vids from all over, a proper diff should be the First thing for a dedicated drifter. Just wish a wear and tear item wouldn't cost 800 Quid!

Matt: You strengthen the chassis on ur 180? Could I just get some welding and start welding plates and bars where neccesary or is it more complex than that? In Drift tengoku: Nismo Power braces and reinforced Tie Rods Made a hell of a difference to the car control while drifting, atleast in the front. That's what Nob said anyway (but don't quote me on this:D ) Not too expensive either from the looks of it..

So I'm thinking After LSD, more Chassis mods!
    :nod:

8. matt

well, stiffening and bracing can't hurt too much I guess. I've had a power brace for a while now, not sure if it really does much tbh:( I wouldn't buy another one, but if you could make your own then go for it!

as for diffs, yeah, having a clutch diff completely transforms the car. its totally predictable and alot easier to drive:) oh, and a diff is £650 from Glen :thumbs:

9. sammysideways

sammysideways Active Member

is it bit hardcore of me, looking at getting my s13 seem welded and having sun roof welded shut :nod:

10. Matt_S

Matt_S SELLIN' UP!!!

Hey? A diff is harcore for you? Surely seam welding is proper hardcore!

For once Matt is right :p . A decent diff is by far one of the most important things to get for drift.
    That and a seat and an exhaust so you can hear what the engien is doing ;)

#10 Matt_S, Jan 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  11. sammysideways

sammysideways Active Member

i meant in form of chasis stifness :p

i know diff is one of the vital ones but cant afford or justify spending 500 pounds on a diff

12. matt

man, I hate reading poor excuses like that. save up. no matter how long it takes it has to be done. welding bits into the chassis isn't gonna be cheap either, and will have a minimal if not undetectable effect on the cars handling. just do some saving/selling of pointless bits to get a diff. its worth it

13. Genjuro

Genjuro keyboard drifter

I'm thinking i'm going to do this too, i know its expensive, and the welded diff serves its purpose but i reckon a proper one would be a good investment. Only thing is doesn't it cost something like £300 to fit it?

14. matt

£60:) really easy if you have a spare diff, just take it to jp in silverstone, pick it up a few days later, swap complete diffs yourself:) only frustrating part is finding S13 VLSD output shafts, tight fookers want to sell you complete diffs for £100!! :mad: