E46 Getrag in E36?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Bagpuss, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

My early E36 325i has started popping out of third on deceleration, and I've been told the cheapest fix is just to throw another gearbox in it. I've been looking in to buying a replacement box, and have found out the E46s use the same Getrag box, just with a later version code.

Now I've tried using realoem to see if they're interchangeable but it's giving me conflicting information, so I was wondering if anyone here knows for sure / has done this swap? I would just buy the E36 getrag however the E36 box sells for £700+ whereas the E46 one sells for £80 delivered.

For reference, the E36 part number is S5D-250G-TAJT, and the E46 part number is S5D-250G-TBDS.

2. DCDave

DCDave New Member

I don't know who has quoted you £700 but the E36 Getrag is very common and used on every model except 328s and m3s, if you message some breakers you should be paying about £80. I sold the last spare I had from a 325 for £50.

3. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

That changes things a bit! I've only been looking on ebay tbh, and the exact model that's currently in my car is silly money on there