Budget E34 520iTT weird car with a weird engine. (Pic/video Heavy thread)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by 520iトージング, Jan 8, 2017.

1. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Hey guys, I am a student from Europe and I finally found some time and managed to pick some images to make this thread. Please remember that I study abroad and will try to update the thread regularly, but sometimes it will take longer as the only time for the car is when I am at home.
    So anyway let me introduce you my little beast which started its trip as E34 520i Touring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trip home

[​IMG]

After ariving to my hometown doing some washing for that extra blink when you buy your first car(not that it helped in any way cause the paint is really done for the years it has)

[​IMG]

Just the night Ive bought my car

[​IMG]
    Everything about the car at the time I bought it:
    R15 styling 2 rims with too old winter tyres to even ride on dry road
    3.64lsd which is kinda not common in a car for 500 bucks
    All electric windows
    M50b20 engine (drinking a bit of water not much tho)
    Damaged front end (missing fan and fan viscous coupling)cause of overheating
    Front lowering springs

MODS after buying the car:
    Fixing the fan and welding the viscous coupling(cool air for days)
    Grippy R16 styling 5 wheels with 35mm spacers
    Cutting rear springs by half (Static stance you know)
    Replacing old rear Upper strut mount as they were practicaly destroyed
    Removing 3.64 LSD diff and putting 3.91 welded diff from E28 (top speed like 180km/h(111mph))
    Weight reduction, removing anything i didnt need (got to 1400kg/3086lbs, not the lightest car in the game)
    Mounting turbo from m51 2.5tds, Garrett TB2514 to exhaust manifold welded specialy for turbo, I actually bought them from my very good friend who has turbo E30.
    Fuel pressure regulator
    Oil plug removed, oil changed, instead of oil plug there was fitting fitted for oil return line(which isnt the best way to do it, but at least we tried, its not working very well)

Dailying the car before mounting the turbo for like month or so.

First day driving to work

[​IMG]

Removed fog lights as I didnt see any use of them

[​IMG]

Working on a cars with my very good friend

[​IMG]

Exchanging the rear Upper strut mount

[​IMG]

Cutting the rear springs

[​IMG]

*!WARNING DRIFT NIGHT AHEAD!*

[​IMG]

At least we ve got some rain and the m50b20 was kinda alright slinding on a slippery road

[​IMG]

After all this abuse with 3.64lsd and full interior welded diff and weight reduction coming

[​IMG]

You need some proper welds for proper drifts

[​IMG]

We got kicked out of our last garage so the diff mounting was done at my friends house

[​IMG]

E34 hood, trying some M5 wheels

[​IMG]

Trying out the new welded diff with some donuts and burnouts we found one problem after it all ended my old safety lug key went missing for no apparent reason. Well thats what I am telling to everyone but the true here is that after removing carpets in the car two bigger holes of rust showed up and the safety lug just felt out and was nowhere to be found. So my two good friends stayed up whole night to finally at 5am getting rid of safety lugs on my car and changing good tyres for the trip home

[​IMG]

Well riding the car around was fun must admit, but it lacked real power to do some faster corners so it was time to really start working on that turbo I had ready for the car.
    Last photos before taking it to the new garage and taking the front appart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally a new garage

[​IMG]

So I basically started a turbo mounting process
    First step was to rotate the core of turbo cause m51 engine had the turbo upside down

[​IMG]

First time mounting turbo to an actual engine

[​IMG]

Next step was to take the whole front appart, fitting intercooler and see what will it look like

[​IMG]

Sidejob:
    As I had the whole front appart I found myself a few free minutes so I made myself a fully funcitonal US lights. They look awesome and thats all they are there for

[​IMG]

After some time I managed to get everything for the turbo I needed at the time, well at least for some test runs. So we did some test runs without intercooler and hood. The wastegate was opened for like 2-3mm so no big pressure on the first runs, Fuel pressure rised to a 4bars/58psi to prevent any deadly detonations.

[​IMG]

For the first couple of runs it was doing pretty much its job, you could feel it had a more power, but after a few miles my oil return line, which is really not the best option there, started to show its flaws. Oil was everywhere and the car was cloud machine for the time being on the road. So the next step is to take the oil pan down and drill a hole for oil returning from turbo.

MODS to be done:
    Oil cooling
    Intercooler
    Wideband O2 gauge(for tunes)
    Complete exhaust as for now I have only down pipe from turbo aimed up
    Getting rid of the rust
    Installing hyraulic handbrake
    Installing boost gauge (already sitting at my house, got it from my Touring bro)
    With more power longer diff as top speed of 180kmh wont be enough in some cases
    Some nice R17 rims

Hopefully you like my E34 520iTurbo and if you have any questions Ill answer them gladly.
    Drift AWAY!

#1 520iトージング, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. WRBA

WRBA Member

nice project man where are you from ? :thumbs:

3. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Well I wont tell you right now, But you can always guess. :D
    And thank you much appreciation.

4. Jimbaw

Jimbaw Member

really like where this is going!!!

and with regards to the location, I'm going to say Romania.

5. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Well not exactly Romania :D and thanks glad you like it.

6. Dean85 S14

Dean85 S14 Member

Hungary :)

I like low budget projects, where do you practice drifting?

7. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Thank you my friend, well for drift practicing street, hills and few tracks around here where the drift events are held.
    Aaaand no its not even hungary but you are getting close.

8. ben85

ben85 Member

Bulgaria

9. WRBA

WRBA Member

I think that it will be from Slovakia :alschaser

10. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Ye alright you got me, I am from Slovakia, to be exact from Bratislava.
    Was it so obvious or it was just a lucky guess? :D

11. WRBA

WRBA Member

the first picture you can see a billboard and the environment is also home :smokin:

12. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Haha ye forgot about that first picture, at the time of posting it I was hoping noones gonna notice it. But yeah understand feels like home in everyway. :D You blew my cover. But to hell with that. Seen your threads also, must admit nice e46s.

13. WRBA

WRBA Member

well thank you , your project is also very interesting... pity that e34 died out in slovakia so as e30 :/

14. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Not to say they died out, but I would say there are less than usual on the market and on the road. But thats why I like it, you wont see much of these cars on the roads anymore. Miss those times when you could get E34 for a few bucks. And E30s, same story I guess, market is full of overpriced ones.

15. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Update and a few lost bits

So yeah its time for a little update and few funny moments I thought are lost without any photos, but lucky I got some.

So for update:
    Finally have been with the car after a few months in the school. The car was put fully together, except the intercooler and exhaust. I am still missing the wideband(coming soon), and exhaust have new hole in the hood for SWAG. It shoots flame as the mixture of fuel/air is too damn rich. :smokin:
    One new problem showed up as the sealing round the spark plugs is done, oil is flooding the coils and sparkplugs so there is no bang, making car imobile.

This is how car looks now
    VdQwZSM.

Ignition coil floodings
    JYzt2U6.

CGAFUVR.

Finally after finding the problem and draining the oil, car moved to my house after our last garage got closed
    lliW09z.

And now to some forgotten bits:
    When the car was still running with naturally aspirated m50b20 and after mounting the welded diff, it just torn out as two bolts were missing (they didnt fit while mounting, wanted to check it the day after)

HnZ3DOv.

Went to ///M-days driving the new M6, ye it got some decent power
    k9EGINC.

Well thats all for my update, as I went back to school and got appart from my E34.
    To end this update I give you guys an "artistic" shot from one morning in the garage and me doing my first test drive with 520iTurboTouring.

2N7e9O3.

Video

Enjoy!

#15 520iトージング, Jan 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WRBA

WRBA Member

how you will deal with the hood? :smash:

17. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Probably will get a new one, in black colour and throw this one away. And for the exhaust, it will be run under the car as normal when Ill have some time to properly meassure length of pipes needed to put whole exhaust together.

18. 520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

Mini Update

So the time has come to get you little updated and get you some info.
    Basically the car didnt move for last month cause University kept me busy, but in a week or so Ill be instaling Afr wideband LSU 4.9 and fuel injectors from m30b35. (Ill post photos of everything in a few days)
    Also I would like to announce our new street and touge drift crew Decibel Makers! :smokin:
    You can check our first video here:

Also on the channel you can find video from when I was putting my E34 to a first test on a rainy night with naturally aspirated m50b20.

Thanks for watching and keep drifting!

#18 520iトージング, Jan 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Threadmark: E34 finally moving, been a while
    520iトージング

520iトージング New Member

So its been a while since I did something with the car as I had some exams at school so there was no time to travel back to my hometown. But finally after a month and half of being appart from my car, I got to it and it was an awesome reunion... Well at least for a few days I was at home.

The following has been done:
    Oil flooding removed, replaced the whole sealing for camshaft covering and rings near the spark plugs
    Dissasambled the intake, remaking oil feed line for the turbo (work in progress)
    Replaced starter as my last one was pretty much done, hopefully new one will last some time
    Got oil pan out, ready for welding the oil return fitting on to it as the last one I put into drain plug wasnt any good and it pumped the oil through the seals in the turbo and into intake

Seal and starter replacing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting oil pan out, it was really pain in the ass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are parts ready for the car

Oil return fitting, went for 16mm one, big enough to be safe
    [​IMG]

M30b35 fuel injectors
    [​IMG]

Widebans LSU 4.9 with interesting gauge which Ill show when it will be mounted in the car
    [​IMG]

Simple boost gauge
    [​IMG]

Car has been once more put to sleep as I left to school again, cant wait to see it again, will miss it for sure.
    [​IMG]

So I am getting closer and closer to finilazing my build for a while, stay updated as in a month or so Ill hopefully get on the streets (hills) and kill some tyres.
    Hope you like my build and as always DRIFT AWAY!
    Enjoy.
    x T O U G E D R E A M S x