Exhaust Mod

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by mike_msch, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

I've got a jag x type 2.5 and I'm going to do a cheap exhaust replacement. I've got a 4 inch jap can coming soon. I'm looking at shortening the exhaust length by nearly two meters. So my new can will sit mid way under the car roughly 1 meter away from the front wheels. It will be clear of fuel lines and tank. There's sufficient space for it too. I've got a detachable silencer and packing to make it quieter for MOT's. Just wondering if there are any issues and would it pass a MOT?

2. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

I'm pretty certain if the exhaust doesn't exit from under the car, be it at the rear or side, it can be classed as major exhaust leak on an mot.

Having said that, I'm not an mot tester.

3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I hope you don't intend on driving it anywhere, that will sound fucking horrific.

how the fuck are you going to clear any kind of obstacle if the exhaust is mid-way under the car??

4. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

I was going to reply with a simple "FFS" but seeing as that's all I do on here these days i thought I'd give you 5 minutes.

It'll catch everything, it'll be deafening inside the car as the noise will reverberate off everything, it'll fail mot as it needs to exit the underside of the car and you'll probably die during your first long journey through monoxide poisoning.

Enjoy

5. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

It's already been said, but this is basically as bad an idea as you can have for an exhaust. If you're after noise, have a silencer or two deleted by someone competent...

6. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

I will be fitting it to the rear. Just ordered flexi pipe, clamps etc. Going to delete one side and convert it to single pipe.

7. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Sounds like it's going to be a nice exhaust, flexi pipe is for generators or boats. Why not do it properly once.

8. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

Flexi pipes are a temporary measure. As time goes I'll replace pipes with stainless steel. I've had a thorough look under the car today. It's a fairly simple exhaust, it's mostly straight pipes right under the engine. They then split into two downpipes and take a 90 degree upwards bend into two large cats. Used exhaust fitters before and I had nothing but leaks and a £1k dent, so lesson I've learnt is do most of your own work.

9. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Yeah I'm not saying take it to an exhaust fabricator as they tend to rape. You'd be better to leave it standard and remove the cats and replace the backbox and use sleeve joints that volkswagens use if you can't/don't have a welder.

10. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

I'll be able to weld (not sure with stainless steel). Leaving the cats in place for definite.

11. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Your going to gain nothing apart from noise then, I'd leave it alone and spend the money elsewhere if it was me.

12. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

Epic fail, jap can looked out of place. Cut both rear boxes off and it sounds crap. It's OK at idle. Ordered new stock mufflers. I'll spend more time on handling and brakes

13. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

A jap can looked out of place on an X type?!?!?!

[​IMG]