What should I do?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Munch1431, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Munch1431

Munch1431 New Member

Hello everyone,

So I need some advice! I watch loads of drifting videos and love it. My problem is, how can I get into it?

I live in the UK, aged 18 (hold drivers licence). I have no mechanical knowledge. I already have a full time job so getting a job as a mechanic isnt an option. I dont have any friends into drifting or modifying cars. I never hear or see of drift events around my area. I obviously dont want to buy a car when I might not actually enjoy doing it.

I need a way to see if it's for me and a way I can maintain my car if I was to get one eventually.

Any advice, tips or anyone that started in a similar situation would be awesome! Thanks for reading.

2. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I think the answer to a few of your questions is go to a few events. See what it is like for real. Ask people if you can passenger in their cars and that way you should also start to make friends. Where in the country are you?

After that it is just a plunge. Buy a rear wheel drive car and give it a go. If you buy something like a e36 BMW (go for a 6 cylinder) which already has the usual mods, you can buy it for less than £1k and if you don't like drifting (which i would be surprised) you can sell it for the same amount. Give it a chance though. You're not going to get the hang of it instantly and bear in mind that drifting on track is so much better than a little streeto.

Maintenance has gotten a lot easier with the introduction of Youtube and forums. Everything you could ever want to know is within reach. You'll need to buy a tool set (most buy the halfords kits when they are half price) and you'll slowly build up your tool kit over time. If you need any specific tools, there will always be someone in your area who has one.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baba

Baba Ex SuperSlide member

The way I look at it, you're not gonna lose money on a drift car as long as you don't crash it.

Buy one that is all done up and ready to take to a track day, try it, if you like it, keep it, if not, sell it for the same money.

• Like Like x 1