R32 - Running R33/34 Wisefab front Questions

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by R32pat, Apr 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. R32pat

R32pat New Member

Hey All,

Open to the floor but more a question for Driftworks staff.
    Remember seeing on Instagram an attempt to fit the R33/34 wisefab into the R32 & retain double wishbone.
    Wondering how this went did you simply make a new upper arm to replace the one in the kit or did you shoe horn in the upper arm assembly from a 33/34 ?

Running Geomaster R chassis fronts atm but looking for that little bit extra.
    Would like to avoid going to the Macpherson setup if possible before anyone suggests that.

Cheers
    Pat

2. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

Would also be interested to know who's done this.

Pretty sure the driftworks r32 is now on wisefab. And seeing the video from bdc they did the suspension is in the own holes not the macpherson ones they made. I can't find any info on it though

3. R32pat

R32pat New Member

You dont have a link to that video do you ? Would be interested to look. They did reply on instagram that this was a custom wisefab setup but that was it.

4. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I'm planning on updating the DW32 build thread soon to include this, but essentially we use an R33 Wisefab knuckle with S13 Wisefab lower arm & Driftworks adjustable front upper camber arm.

I can see about providing a kit price to save you buying two different Wisefab kits to split. If you're seriously interested please drop us an e-mail to shop@driftworks.com

It is not direct bolt on if you want to run low (which you do ) or run less than 7* neg camber) You have to modify the upright part of the R32 suspension and the upper rail.
    This picture explains the issue more clearly. After we made the modifications to the car we were able to get as low as 4* negative camber and the correct castor, even running super low on 17" wheels.
    R32Wisefab.

• Like Like x 1
  5. R32pat

R32pat New Member

I take it the 33 LCA was too long and camber was more of an issue with that Phil ?
    Out of interest what width and offset were the 17s ?
    Will drop an email when i get a moment in regards to kit pricing.

6. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

I take it youve drove the car like this Phil?

What would you say the difference was between the MacPherson conversion you did a while back? any benefits, pros/cons over either way?

#6 e_dale2000, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  7. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The lower control arm and tension rod length is different on the 33, so it would mess with camber and the the castor would be very wrong.
    The wheels were some of the 17x9 ET0 Work M1R off the DW86. Obviously we had to build the arches around them. We've now fitted Work MCO 18x9.5 ET35. I'm not sure if Martin fitted a spacer as well though.

I briefly drove it before I broke the centre bearing in the propshaft at Angelsey last year, but it was pretty incredible. Martin who's driving the car for Team Driftworks this year loves it. The McPhearson setup was dog shit by all accounts, no self centering. That could possibly have been fixed with alignment changes, but I don't think I ever drove it as McPhearson..

8. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

Cheers for the response Phil!

Im just debating which way to go i've briefly driven my mates soarer with WiseFab and it was beautiful to drive and felt so smooth.

Ive spent alot of time in an S14 with all around geomasters and that too was brilliant you can throw it in for fun with no issues.

With the R32 i was trying to work out the best way to go. I was thinking about the R body geomasters you sell but now youve got me thinking about it again when i realised you guys had made WiseFab fit the R32 now im torn lol. Sticking with Rbody also saves me buying new coilovers as i was debating with the Macpherson conversion.

9. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Yeah it's a big one. Rbody Geo is pretty simple to fit if you have S14 bearings and the bearing nut. (You need those for Wisefab too)
    Wisefab give the best lock, but you have to do some big custom archwork and personally I hate bolt on arches on anything except super oldschool stuff. Our's were a hell of a lot of work, but I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

17499487_10155892290063448_7769080883570711360_n.

10. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

bolt on arches are hideous i agree with you there!

Didnt realise how wide you made the front wings until inspecting that pic, are the rears GTR style overfenders?

did you put wise fab on the rear too? did you have much of a fitting issue there?

11. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Yeah that's where the hard work really came in. Making it not look like it's really obviously got Wisefab on it.
    The rear is Wisefab too. Again an incredible bit of engineering. It's a bit more awkward to set up initially because it's so adjustable, and the upper camber arm has to be unbolted for most adjustments which is a bit of a pain. But that sacrifice is worth it. The traction and side bite is superb.
    The rear overfenders are Dmax IIRC, but we've messed with them a bit spacing them out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. R32pat

R32pat New Member

The front fenders are amazing and i had wondered if they were custom. :)