Good first drift car but also daily

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by AtomicInfinity, Apr 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AtomicInfinity

AtomicInfinity New Member

Towards the end of the year I'm looking to replace my banged up 1.2 clio and I'm looking for something a bit more sideways but also good to learn in. Budget will be about 6k and will be keeping as standard as possible for the first year while going to drift events and learning the ropes then starting to mod after that. Need something relatively low on insurance as i'll only have 1 years no claims but I will be turning 25 beforehand and after checking around it looks like my insurance will be dropping by quite a bit (and that without shopping around, adding parents as named drivers etc). I will be able to get insured on something like a 350z for about 1300 for the year which I know sounds a lot to most people but I didn't start driving until after university so I've been paying that much for insurance on my clio and I'll happily pay it again on a better car.

What would be a good car to start with? I've been toying with the idea on the MX5 but if I can get something with 4 seats then that would be ideal (but not 100% required).

2. Mrodoc

Mrodoc Member

All depends what you are looking for, do you have any ideas on what you want?

you bothered if it needs work doing to make roadworthy before hand etc etc

not many things for 6k unless you want a bmw or a is200-300 toyota altezza are about but not many

3. AtomicInfinity

Don't mind if it needs a little bit of work but ideally looking for something below 100k miles with a sound engine. If it needs work doing it would have to come out of the same budget. Don't mind BMWs but would prefer something japanese. I can live with 2 seats if 4+ is limiting my options too much because my girlfriend likes sensible 5 door cars so can use that if needed.

4. Mrodoc

Mrodoc Member

tbh anything nissan is going to be stupid on insurance and most of the companies know what they are now, you could look at the older lexus gs models only issue is they are auto - but can be picked up relatively cheap

5. AtomicInfinity

Was looking for a manual tbh, how are MX5s for drifting with little work done to them as these are the cheapest ive looked at for insurance in terms of RWD? I've been told before that I either need one that came with an LSD or I'll need to get my diff welded but this will be a daily too. Like I said, I can go for a 2 seater if that makes things simpler as the main thing during the week will just be me going to and from work.

6. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

What? 6k is plenty lol. 6k could get you an ok 200sx to be fair. If you are on a bit of a budget then go for an E36 328 in whatever form. You can pick it up for 1-1.5k which leaves plenty for a few drift based mods. The engine will do you absolutely no bother and you can even get a touring so theres plenty of room for tools and tyres in the back! Job done.