Biker turning drift car

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by MedwayR6, May 3, 2017.

1. MedwayR6

MedwayR6 New Member

IMG_6824. Hi all. Well where do I start. I guess I'm probably posting in the wrong place but be kind as a newbie lol. Well I'm a all out motorcycle nut but think it's time to start a new chapter in the motor world. I've been doing a lot of research online and find myself being forwarded to this site, so here I am.
    Right as a newbie and the only drifting I've done is on two wheels. So any ideas for a car I should by and build a monster Road legal drift car. Would be a big help if you could say name make year liter etc as wanna get the right car. I'm liking a BMW but not a M3 as my insurance has one to many wheelie/speeding points.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Nice bike dude

If you're leaning toward BMW then look at what engine size your insurance is happy with and take it from there. Is a 2.8 too big? Or need to be under 2.5?

There are enough parts and aftermarket support for the e36 and e46 models to see you right. If you don't mind swinging spanners then try find something as close to stock as possible so it hasn't been hammered to death, just be mindful of rust when buying. Best thing to do is find a couple for sale and test drive to see if it is what you want.

If you're leaning towards something more "ready to go" keep an eye on here. Maybe even hunt through the build thread sections to find something done right and message the guy seeing if he'll sell. Everyone has a price. Be wary of the FB Buy/Sell pages, a lot of mutton gets advertised as lamb on there

3. MedwayR6

MedwayR6 New Member

Cheers BenRice. I've been looking for a stock motor. As you can see from my bike I'm pretty good with a spanner and spray gun. And cool yer been looking at 2.5 as I haven't seen any standard 2.8 etc.
    So I've read many treads on here and I'm guessing I've got to strip the fack out the car. Coilovers from eBay. And weld the diff. Is there anything else need to be done

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

If you're dailying it, don't worry about stripping the interior out. Just makes it more uncomfortable to drive and drifting isn't about power to weight, despite what the internet tells you.

And if you have the budget, go for as good a brand of coilover as you can, even if the model of coilover is the entry level - ie the BC Gold or HSD street coilovers. That way you get the benefit of the R&D of these bigger companies and the ability to get parts easily if you end up having a major bingle.

A welded diff, good coilovers, a good alignment, bucket seat and clip in harness and drive/maintain/drive. Even if you drive at grip track days you will learn the limits of the car and how the suspension reacts to the force of your inputs.

As you progress look to add simple things like lock spacers once you've learnt the basics and start to push faster. Consider the diff ratio you have and see if you can fit a shorter ratio to help the NA engine keep in it's power band (heaps of info on this with a bit of a search). Adding a coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge with warning lights so you can shut it down before something terminal happens.

Keep the fluids fresh, keep an eye on the mounts and bushings, make sure the brake pads have meat and the handbrake is adjusted, budget on a clutch & flywheel change within your first year and keep an eye out for spare parts like fenders, wheels and suspension arms

You want to spend the same number of hours working on improving you as a driver as you do maintaining & modifying the car. That way you both progress at the same rate

Have fun!