What's the deal with RB20 head gaskets?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by 5M0K3, May 15, 2017.

1. 5M0K3

5M0K3 New Member

So I'm going to be rebuilding my RB20, and I can't seem to find any head gaskets, other than Cometic, or OEM. I'm boring the cylinders a little, as the cylinder walls are scoured, so OEM isn't really an option. I have heard varying opinions about Cometic, and I've been trying to see what my options are. It blows my mind how hard it is to find parts for these things. Any opinions? Can someone point me in the right direction? All help is greatly appreciated.

2. Matty-Westside

I have a cometic gasket on mine and it seems to have been spot on for a good while! Running 1.2 bar of boost.

I was advised that Cosworth make one, but I haven't had the need to look into that.

3. 5M0K3

5M0K3 New Member

That's what I wanted, but the Cosworths have been discontinued for the rb20 and I can't seem to locate any :( I've done a little more research, and it seems people with the most issues with Cometic are the ones who aren't prepping the surfaces properly. Might just give it a go on the Cometic. Thanks for your reply!

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

5. 5M0K3

5M0K3 New Member

Thanks for the info! It seems my location may be the issue. It is hard finding anything for this engine in the US.