Pinging

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by mike_msch, Jun 12, 2017.

1. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

I think My engine pings (sounds like pinging) for a few seconds under acceleration at around 2000rpm. No noise when the car is in neutral. No knocking when I reverse. No lights have come up on the dash. diagnostic is clean and I have no loss of power. Emissions are perfect. It seems that there is no pinging until the engine reaches its maximum temperature of 90 degrees Celsius. I noticed it today when I was driving up a multi storey car park and driving up the ramp in 1st. I was hitting the pedal a bit hard for it to ping. I've got a x type awd.

2. forced

forced New Member

You sure you have the right spark plugs, and they're properly gapped? Custom ECU? It could be the tune.

Very difficult to help without knowing all your mods

3. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

Completely stock. Factory recommended plugs. I've noticed I can eliminate the pinging by keeping the revs above 2000rpm or by accelerating gently under 2000rpm upwards.

4. forced

forced New Member

Well then this is a very strange request on a drift forum. Take it to a Jaguar dealer.

5. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

Yeah I know but I'm thinking this forum might have members with more knowledge and experience.

6. Mehmet

Mehmet Member

Try better fuel/bp ultimate or v power

But it sounds like it's missing/ had that before at the garage first found out which cylinder it is, do a code read on it and go from there

7. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

No codes have come up. I've tried every top quality fuel, additives etc. I put new plugs in. Although one plug had cracked ceramic.

8. mike_msch

mike_msch New Member

OK so car does not ping in 1st on a flat road and does not ping at all going down hill. I'm guessing the engine needs high revs to function right. The car is 12 years old so maybe it's got some personal characteristics that require it's own unique style of driving.

9. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

It's a mondeo just scrap it

10. forced

forced New Member

Sooo I did ask about the plugs.. you said they were sweet. Now you mention they have a cracked insulator!

Fix that first.

11. forced

forced New Member

Or bring it in to someone like me and I'll fix it reeeeaaal good, dem jaguar chequebooks man.