Richies NA Eunos Practice Car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by richie_k83, Jun 30, 2017.

1. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Well here is my small build/progress thread on what is now my 3rd MX5...

My current daily is a JZX90 Chaser and considering I'm still somewhat of a Noob, I don't really want to trash it whilst I'm learning, especially considering its an extremely clean and super low mileage example...

19149124_10212972686822324_1414531459248207109_n.

Anywho, after getting rid of my Compact a while back, I felt the need to get something to piss around in again. After mooching around, I caught wind of a friend who was selling a 1.6l Eunos Roadster.
    After a few messages over Facebook, I bought her home

m1.

Its a Jap Spec Eunos, imported from Japan to Ireland some time ago, so I am told. Came with some 15" Lorber Alloys, Noisy Exhaust, factory Viscous LSD and some PIAA Headlamps, which apparently are rare...?

She was in much need of some TLC, the Discs and Pads are Shot, Engine wont idle correctly, leaking coolant from the Thermostat Housing, leaking Oil from the Cam Sensor Seal, Power Steering Pump fucked and noisy, has a broken rear Spring and Passengers Window Cable had snapped.
    Pretty minor work, but all easy enough to put right...

I made a start on the interior, it was fucking grim, filthy and full of junk, so after a good scrub and fixing the Window Regulator, I made a start at re-trimming the tired old Door Cards and Gear Stick Gaiter in a Japanese Cherry Blossom Fabric,

m2. m3.
    m9. m4.

A whole heap better now than it was..!

Mechanical work next up, re-sealed the leaky Engine, Changed the Cam Belt and re-timed correctly. For some reason the Intake Cam was miles out!
    Also removed the busted A/C and Power Steering Systems and fitted a Manual Steering Rack.

m8.

The Idle Issue was caused by the Air Flow Sensor, it wasn't even connected to the Engine. The Intake Pipe and Airbox was all missing, so had to bodge a 1.8l intake pipe on there that i found in the boot. I bought a cheap HKS Super Power Flow Filter kit to make up for the missing Airbox.

Runs a fucking treat! even took the time to re-set the Idle speed :)

After reading that the OE Viscous LSD isn't so strong, I made the call to get a 1.8l Torsen Diff and Drive Shafts.
    After picking up the Torsen from Chris (Stylecase) I promptly got round to changing the seals and Oil. It has some bearing noise, but will get that sorted at a later date....

m5.

Changed the rear spring, got the diff fitted up and had a poke around underneath.

Turns out she's pretty rusty...! Fuck :(

m6.

This was the worst corner, the Drivers side Front Arch and Chassis Rail are rotten.

All the other Arches need a bit doing, but oddly enough, the sills are still solid! Even after looking inside with an endoscope, they are still good.
    Still kinda pissed me off... I have the tools to sort it, I just didn't want a full on rebuild, more do the bare minimum and get trackside...

Cracked on with it anyway after sulking for a couple of days.

Got it right up in the air, surprised it didn't fold in half lol

m10.

2hrs of work later, the drivers side Arch and Chassis is almost done.

m7.

Came really close to fucking it off, but now all I have left is welding, wheels and brakes to get sorted, then MOT and Seat Time.
    More to come soon, I'm sure.....

#1 richie_k83, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

look good mate, strangely love the look of them wheels just needs more lows

3. richie_k83

Cheers dude. Yea, never seen them before, seem to only have ever done them in the one size. Need a respray and lows for sure lol

4. richie_k83

Slow progress having no spare time to do anything as of late.

Had to book a few days off work to crack on with the welding, so got to it last week,

m1.JPG

All Arch Tubs are now Rot Free and Plated/rebuilt.

Just need a coat of Waxoyl over the StoneChip, plus some Cavity Wax for the inner sills. Should last a couple more years... lol
    m2.
    m3.
    m4.

m5.

With that out of the way, the brakes needed some attention, so new pads and discs were ordered up,

m6.
    Also decided to give the old girl a re-paint. the Silver is about 10 different shades, so has to go.

Ordered some cheap Gloss Black and Lacquer from Work, plus a can of glitter paint from Halfrauds to see how it would look as a metal flake / sparkle look.

Did a test on the Fuel Flap, 3x coats of Black, 1x coat of glitter and 3x coats of Clear, looks great for a rattle can Jobbie :)

m7.

Just the rest of the car to do now! Front Bumper and Wings are up for paint next :)

#4 richie_k83, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. richie_k83

Making progress now. Front bumper has painted up well, as did the bonnet.

IMG_1768.JPG

Also chopped and repaired the front wings, as i'm a tight cunt and dont wanna spend on them lol

IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG

Front end is all done now. Changed the brakes, fitted new Calipers as the fronts had seized up and changed the gearbox oil.

IMG_1765.JPG

All ready for MOT in a couple of weeks time.

IMG_1766.JPG

Hoping to get the rest of it painted before inspection, not a great deal left really other than to book some seat time :)

#5 richie_k83, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

Cool man looks good. I like the Chaser too!

7. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

please lower it

8. richie_k83

Thanks, hoping to have a play in the Chaser once I get better at it... lol

Its on the cards for sure, but will need new top mounts and a full Camber bolt set at that point to re-set the suspension geometry.

Current Camber Bolts are all shitty, so will snap no doubt. Plus, at some point in its life, someone has snapped a front top mount stud and welded it to the strut tower, blowing my chance of re-using it...

9. richie_k83

MOT was sorted a few weeks ago, so now she's all road legal.
    Still drastically needs lowering and would benefit from a Hard Top as the Vinyl roof is starting to show its age.

On the plus side, paint is sorted and looks like a different Car

image.
    image.

Pretty fucking chuffed with the paint considering its just a rattle can job.

First day drifting in it next Sunday at B'ham wheels. Will be a good shakedown to see how the car behaves and if there is anything i need to do. Cant wait :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. richie_k83

First Drift Day at B'ham Wheels this Sunday.
    Loaded the Car up with Tools and Wheels and headed on down to join the Flatout Factory guys.

m1.

Start of the day, I spent most of the time getting to grips with the car, but promptly got into the swing of things.
    After a few runs, one of my tyres popped off the rim, thanks to a puncture and the pressure dropping too low.
    Pulled into the pits, got it changed and headed back out.
    Thats when the problems started, the Car just wouldnt play ball, understeered into every corner with the back end refusing to step out.
    Got pissed off, went to aggressive into a corner, and twatted the armco (help on hand with the hammers thanks to my buddy Moz)

m2.

No serious damage, all cosmetic... Laughed it off (that'll teach me for being a tit!)

Straightened the panels, checked suspension and steering and had a brew whilst gathering my thoughts.

Put it down to having fuck all front end grip and super soft suspension thanks to the tired old Mazda dampers and springs that are on there....

Changed the front wheels over, adjusted the pressures and went back out.
    After that, it was an absoulte scream to drive and way more fun than the old 316 i had.

Other than that, the car was bullet proof :)

Have some pics and GoPro footage to upload soon, hoping to get back there on December 16th for the Flatout Chrimbo Bash.
    Just ordered some Coilovers too, hoping they will help somewhat.

Super happy and thirsty for more :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. lewby

lewby Member

good stuff!

cant really beat them for the smiles:£ ratio.

12. richie_k83

Absolutely, should have done this a long time ago really. This is my 3rd Mx5 now lol

13. richie_k83

Got the Car on the lift today to repair the crash damage.
    Took a small parts delivery to help combat the understeer i've been having.
    Tein Coilovers and some Nankang NS2-R Tyres for up front,

mp.

Should have them fitted and a full 4 wheel alignment done in time for the next outing :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. richie_k83

Few snaps from Sunday :)

DSCF1424.JPG
    DSCF1426.JPG
    DSCF1427.JPG
    DSCF1429.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. richie_k83

DSCF1430.JPG
    DSCF1434.JPG
    DSCF1434.JPG

DSCF1435.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. richie_k83

Got the old girl on the ramps at work today for a checkover and ordered up some parts,

23754984_10214430606709410_3889163836016261345_n.

Coilovers are fitted, Tyres are being done today and I'll give it a checkover and damage repair whilst here too.

23755474_10214430607189422_4083441890541719988_n.

Booked on for the Flatout Factory Crimbo Bash on 16th December too, much excite! :)

(Apologies for the shitty quality iPhone4 images lol)

17. Drifter X

Drifter X Member

Looks good mate, coilovers will make a big difference, are they adjustable at all?

18. richie_k83

Cheers dude,

I havent driven it on the Coilovers yet as i'm waiting on my tyres to come back from fitting, no doubt they will be a load better. The stock suspenion was shockingly crap and even daily driving was hard going.

They are only height adjustable and re-use the OE top mounts. I have just ordered some Whiteline Swaybars to toy with the stiffness settings too, just need to get the Camber Bolts freed off and i can get the full geometry set up :)

19. Drifter X

Drifter X Member

Ah fair, yeah stock 5 suspension isn't very good at all, Bilstein's are a little better through the corners but are still really bouncy. A world apart from a good coilover setup, got HSD mono's on mine and its mega, comfier down a road and flatter through a fast bend. Adjustable ARB's sound awesome too - would be keen to hear how much difference they make, are you going to run the car with stock ARB for a bit before you change them?

20. richie_k83

Hopefully mine will be comfy, they are a street based coilover, so shouldnt be too harsh i hope. although, its not my daily, so not a major deal if they are.

The old Swaybars are off already lol, new ones should be with me on Friday. I get them cheap enough through work, so decided to do them whilst i was under the car.