Sheared Wheel nut. Advice ?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Lewis Spear, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Lewis Spear

Lewis Spear New Member

Hello everyone.

What turned out from a saturday afternoon adjusting my coilovers has turned into seven sheared wheel nuts. Yes seven.
    The offending nuts are the ones supplied by Driftworks that came with my rota wheels.
    Im guessing the nuts are made of aluminium.
    Has anybody dealt with this before ?
    I've tried a nut extractor by irwin but it rounded it more. I'm going to have to drill them just thought id ask to see if anybody has done this before and has any advice.
    29258093_2087840884561167_1745982215314997248_o.

2. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

Drill it out sacrifice the wheel stud iv seen people wreck wheels going at it with chisels and stuff. Just drill it out use a small 3 or 4 mm bit and then 10mm or bigger. New wheel stud then your all good and a lesson to everyone to stop buying cheap alloy wheel nuts.

3. Lewis Spear

Lewis Spear New Member

thats my plan. I've ordered ten new studs and a whole set of new STEEL wheel nuts lol ironically the new nuts are from driftworks the ally nuts came with the rotas i got from driftworks i thought nothing of using them couldn't believe it when they sheared.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

That is impressive. Never used the free ones supplied with the wheels. I always stick to steel, even if they aren't as pretty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lewis Spear

Lewis Spear New Member

For anyone who is interested i sorted this problem by drilling the studs out, started with a small bit and working my way up to 13mm, on a few of the studs the hole wandered off centre to deal with this and to avoid damage to the wheels i bought some rotary burr bits from machine mart and cut the remaining material away. once the wheel is off take the brakes off and knock the studs out with a hammer.
    To replace the studs poke the new stud through the hub and place a stack of washers over the stud and wind a nut down the stud this pulls the stud into the hub.

Here is a video from youtube demonstrating this

its not as scary as you might think once you know what to do.

6. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

If you have the tools its easier to sacrifice a socket and weld the socket to whats left of the nut.

Ally and steel dont mix. You get bi-metallic corrosion which basically welds the 2 together.

7. Lewis Spear

Lewis Spear New Member

welder wouldn't of got to it to be honest plus you run the risk of welding the nut to the stud or damaging the wheel, there wasn't much material left. i drilled seven out using the method above with no damage to the wheel and it was pretty quick with decent drill bits.

8. Lewis Spear

Lewis Spear New Member

Also drilling the stud and leaving whats left of the nut alone, the nut protects the wheel as its in between the drill and the wheel.

9. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Its easier in some ways and harder in others. I had a McGuard lock nut splay out and it left less than what you have there. Welded an old socket on and off it came, no damage to anything, then just fit a new nut.