Drifting simulator

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by lesleys14, May 27, 2018.

1. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

hi everyone I have a drift car and been to quite a few drift days but cannot progress past donuts and figure of 8 so I’ve been doing some research and some people say a racing simulator could help so any advice would be good or anyone got one for sale with a handbrake mod and assato corsa game
    Thanks Lisa

2. LaRoche

LaRoche New Member

Hi Lisa,

I use a Thrustmaster T150 wheel w/ T3PA pedals on Assetto Corsa for practice.

It's not as fun or as useful as a skidding a real car as you can't feel the motion obviously, but it still teaches you steering and throttle control which can be applied in real life. I used this setup before doing skids in real life and I was able to get the hang of the basics very quickly using what I had learnt in the game.

A simulator definitely helps!

3. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi thanks for replies sounds like a simulator will definitely help

4. Ramon

Ramon Member

A simulator could help, but the biggest drawback is that you don't feel what your "car" is doing. I played assetto a few times with just a basic g27 for fun. I can link tracks on it but to me it seems harder than drifting irl :p

Doing donuts is one thing, controlling them is another. Same goes for figure 8s. If you can control your figure 8s as in you can easily go wider or shallower or even skip one middle pass sometimes so you go round both cones doing like a figure 0.. or figure 69s xD if you kinda understand what I mean...

If you really got all of that down, and you have your car dialed the way you like it. It's just the last step of growing some balls (or is this the problem? :p) to actually link some turns on a track with a lil higher speed. (it kinda depends) but I would suggest to keep it in 2nd gear for the whole thing. Look where you want to go. Use the full width of the track, look at others for the line they take. Don't be afraid to go a little wide.

I should add that I'm no pro either. These are all the beginner tips I can think of :)
    Goodluck!

5. Tripp

Tripp Member

Assetto Corsa is fun for playing aorund with different settings to see how it changes the handling. I'm not sure how accurate to real life it is but I find it fun tweaking the alignment settings etc.

And there are a few online drift servers which is interesting. Of course it can be a bit like bumper cars but there are usually a few good tandem groups running

6. lower class

lower class Member

I have just bought assetto Corsa for practice whilst the 14 is being fixed (as always) In my opinion it's very different to real life. As mentioned above you don't feel the car movement which is how alot of people drive, with their bums. It's good for countersteering and throttle control etc. Just don't be disheartened if you find it more difficult. Its nice to practice for 'free' whenever you feel like though :)
    I use logic g29 pedals, wheel and gear stick and made my own handbrake mod using an old keyboard pcb for usb connection to the computer (didnt want to open up the wheel)