S14 coolant overflow relocation

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by AdamS14a, Jun 12, 2018.

1. AdamS14a

AdamS14a Member

AE36F9DD-E0C2-4A54-A5D7-DDC05CF91D1A. my s14 is getting tubbed next weekend and I want to re locate the coolant overflow for a cleaner look in the bay, the picture attached is the sort of thing I am looking to replace it with but lower down under the pass headlight. I know the coolant will flow from the rad to the overflow but as it’s lower down will there be any problems drawing the coolant back to the rad in the event of overheating?

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Possibly??
    Header tank wants to be at the top of the system, and isn't it an open type tank as stock?

If the tank is not the highest point you can have all sorts of issues with air locks and bubbles not being able to escape.

3. AdamS14a

AdamS14a Member

The original tank is lower than the top radiatior hose though :confused: does anyone have any ideas on any other options? I’m not a fan of the ones that sit in front of the shock turret. If not I might just run it and just keep a close eye on temps and coolant level :wack:

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Weirdly, have been doing a bit of research on this lately

The best thing to do is jump on somewhere like aliexpress, throw "coolant overflow" in the search, sort be price ascending and look at the different designs.

There are a couple of really compact ones, one in particular looks like it would sit nicely behind the strut tower:

lack-Commodore-Polished-Alloy-Power-Coolant-Tank-Reservoir-for-V6-V8-LS1-VT-VX-VU-VY._640x640.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bla...904418f&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

• Like Like x 1