S14 Drift Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by GlenF95, Jul 26, 2018.

1. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Quick intro, I’m Glen from Plymouth and I currently own a Nissan 200sx S14a. Some of you may have seen my previous thread I started with my R32 skyline which I intended to drift. Unfortunately situations changed so I needed to sell it, so I got this S14 and also getting a daily as well unlike before when I was dailying my 32… wasn’t cheap especially as I do a lot of motorway trips…

If the previous owner is reading this then I’m sorry for drifting this but my bodywork guy is very good and I’m not intending on tapping any walls or other cars doors with this lol. It’s not to be a missile car I want to keep it looking nice

Here are a few pics of the car I was sent by the owner, good looking, clean S14 and I was really excited to pick it up.

IMG_4914[1].JPG IMG_4919[1].JPG IMG_4921[1].JPG
    Quick Spec list as it was when I got it.

SR20DET
    Front mount intercooler (unsure on brand, he said possibly driftworks but I don’t think they make them for 14’s, soon find out, probably won’t)
    Japspeed Radiator
    Air Filter
    Japspeed manifold, turbo elbow, decat and mid-section with a shotgun back box
    Coilovers (Unknown brand) & Adjustable camber top mounts
    Re-circ valve
    Boost Gauge
    Short shifter
    ACT stage 3 performance clutch
    Driftworks lightened flywheel
    Navan skirts and spats
    D Max roof spoiler
    Smoothed boot from spoiler removal
    Cosmis VCP N5r’s 18’s
    OMP dish steering wheel
    Mapped by Horsham developments to roughly 280hp (can’t remember exact number off the top of my head)

Future plans for it are to:

Strip the interior
    Remove sound deadening
    Bucket seats
    More angle (been looking at the destroy or die knuckles)
    Hydro that I’ve got laying around
    Weld the diff as I’ve heard mixed reviews on the viscous lsd they come with
    I want to play around with the coilovers as well to get it sitting a little lower

There will be more plans to do to it in the future but for now I want to get those bits done and then get as much seat time as possible. I want to change the way it looks as well, I like the origin labs kits and the D Max ones as well but I’m going to focus on my driving first then the looks of it afterwards so I’ll probably look at a kit end of next year and a colour change, Alex Laws yellow 14 from low origin was what made me want one I’ve always loved that car and their other cars too, but low and ‘impeccable fitment’ is definitely one of the main aims for this car, only hard part of that is the country roads I live by lol.

Couple bits of my inspiration below

IMG_4938[1].PNG IMG_5184[1].JPG
    The previous owner mentioned that when it was mapped there was a misfire and a boost leak so it has had new coil packs and the boost leak fixed now so I’ll be looking to get it on the dyno and seeing what it reads, fingers crossed more towards the 300 mark but even 280 in a car as light as this is plenty so I’m happy. I’m also torn on whether to keep the re-circ valve or not, I know it’s better for the drive and performance of the car but the child inside me just wants that turbo flutter so bad!!
    IMG_5214[1].JPG

Here are a couple pics of my old 32, I miss this car everyday so please no comments on how I shouldn’t have done it I already know lol..
    IMG_4010[1].JPG
    I didn’t really get the chance to use this properly as explained in my previous thread which wasn’t very long if anyone is interested.

So I picked the car up in Swindon which was halfway for us both, he took my 32 home with plans of putting a lot of power into it so I look forward to crying over it at shows in the next year or so and asking to buy it back... And I took the 14 along with some cash home with me, stopping off on the way home to show a couple people the new whip and just anger their neighbours with the stupidly loud exhaust. Here are a couple pics I took of it when I picked it up, I do love 13’s and 14’s I originally wanted one so I’m happy I’ve finally got one, especially now I can use it properly I think I’ll enjoy it more than the skyline!

Struggled not to cry seeing my 32 drive away but after putting my foot down between some tall buildings me and my bro who came with me were completely sold on the new motor.

IMG_5228[1].JPG
    Good decision, just want both so I’ll be buying the 32 back off him when he moves on

First impressions of the car were really good, didn’t feel as nice as my 32 to drive but mine had a lot of suspension mods, this car did feel solid and was fun to drive, it’s a lot faster than mine, I didn’t fully put my foot down with him in it because I didn’t want to rag his car, but now I have it feels more than 280 and everyone else who has been in it agrees or says they think it‘s over 300 so I’ll have to get it on the dyno and find out. The exhaust was loud but sounded a lot better than I thought so I think that’s going to stay. It’s a lot lower than it looked in the pictures but it’s sat perfect for me, would like slightly lower but I wouldn’t be able to get out my village. Also decided I hate the diff so that is being sorted, coming from a 2 way it’s not nice

IMG_5234[1].JPG
    Noticed that the car when it’s on boost almost sounds like it has a screamer which I’m putting down to the re-circ valve which sounds unreal so that is definitely staying!! But no it drives really well and the power of it has really surprised me I wasn’t expecting it, the boost gauge is reading 17-18psi which seems far too high for the standard T25 so I don’t know if it already has the 28 in it
    IMG_4955[1].JPG

I’ve found a guy who works at JDM garage with an S14 that he’s taking apart so I’m taking his recaro reclining seat (100% a rep as it has the bride styling on it but better than flying out the window) and then the standard black leather seat just so it doesn’t look stupid with one cream seat. Although after getting in it, the car is so nice and clean it feels a shame to strip it. Don't have a picture of the seat yet but I'll post a pic when I pick it up

Just need to find myself a daily and I’m good to go, ideally a mk4 golf or an e46 because I loved my old one

2. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

Lovely car best of luck with it.
    If it's going to be a road car that you do drift days in and not an all out track car then why bother stripping the whole thing out i never understand why people do this, it's a much nicer place to be with an interior then stripped and your not saving crazy amounts either unless you take out all the sound deadening as well which loads of people don't which makes even less sense .

• Like Like x 1
  3. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Thanks mate I'm chuffed with it!! It's going to be a drift car but I will be taking it to shows and on track as well so I'll be stripping it, the sound deadening will be coming out as well, just leaving the dash in. Want to focus on drifting and getting good at it so will be trying to go all out on this one just need practice

4. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

I'll leave you off so lol. Just dont understand why people half do it but you've it all planned out and that's the way to do it. I'll be keeping an eye on it for inspiration so best of luck with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dandadude

dandadude Active Member

Nice, looks like a good base, I was in a similar situation to you started with a clean saphire blue s14a about 5 years ago that i was only going to drift a little bit, now the car is fully caged has many battle scars and I am hoping to compete next year lol.

It's very easy to get hooked but your car will take a beating if you want to get into drifting at a decent level so just keep that in mind. No reason you can't keep the car looking nice though especially if you have a good bodywork guy as you say.

Couple things, your car would have come with a t28 as standard not a t25, they can take 17/18psi if mapped correctly so don't worry about that too much, take a look on the hdev website and the generic chips are made to run near that depending what injectors you are running. You could possibly have a bigger turbo such as a 2871 as they fit the same but i'm sure the person you bought it from would have told you as they are not cheap.

If you have a noise like a screamer I would think you have an exhaust blow or boost leak, i would get that checked out, if your running a normal actuator you shouldn't really hear a noise like that on boost.

I am not that far from you, just up in Newton Abbot, if you want any advice etc or near by going for a drive give me a shout.

Dan

6. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

maddd that s14 came from my town lol its a very clean car

7. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Cheers mate look forward to seeing that round! I know it's probably going to get a bit battered but the plan is to stay on top of it as best I can so I'll see how it turns out!

It was mapped by Horsham and they said it's still the 25, I'm new to SR's but just seemed odd to me but thanks for the info! I've had the noise looked into and I've been told it is the re-circ valve, I've found an exhaust leak and the manifold gasket needs replacing so maybe it's a mixture of the both!

Cheers for the offer I'll take you up on that, same goes for you drop me a pm

#7 GlenF95, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  8. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

So driving home Sunday and the engine developed a loud rattle under load, sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine so I'm not sure if its vvt rattle which I didn't expect to happen so suddenly but like I said I'm very new to SR's and only recently started getting more serious with cars. I'm hoping that it's a case of the exhaust leak from the manifold gasket has just got a lot worse and caused the loud rattle/tapping noise. I'll find out soon enough and then carry on with updates once it's fixed

#8 GlenF95, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

it really is, should be seeing my old skyline round instead now make sure he doesn't wreck it! lol

10. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Already looks like a very nice sorted car mate. Was following your R32 thread, really liked my old 14a so looking forward to seeing how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Thanks mate, got some good plans for it so should be some good content coming up

12. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Small Update

Picked up a daily so I didn't have to rush fixing this, e46 320d sport for £700 i was happy!
    IMG_5374[1].JPG

Finally fixed the rattling issue it was just the manifold gasket leaking and the turbo gasket as well
    Working on it like this wasn't the best, I park it up the road because my neighbours hate me and I can't be bothered with complaints
    IMG_5406[1].JPG
    Decided screw the neighbours I wasn't getting anywhere and brought it down to the drive the next morning
    IMG_5451[1].JPG
    The dog came with me to move the car and never seen anyone so mesmerised by a gearstick...
    IMG_5417[1].JPG
    He stayed like that for a while..

Finally got it off
    IMG_5441[1].JPG IMG_5442[1].JPG
    I was determined to do it without taking the turbo off and incase anyone else has the same idea it's not worth it, seems the easy and lazy way but next time I won't be so stubborn and do it properly
    IMG_5443[1].JPG

Now that's finally done

Going to a charity meet at JDM Garage this weekend so will give it a good clean before that. Booked onto Forge at Castle Combe in september and booked into a drift day on the 29th of September as well.

Picked up the new seat the other day, yes i know it's horrendous I didn't realise it said recaro on the bride style seat but its only a temporary option
    IMG_5310[1].JPG

I picked up a black standard seat as well so the cream passenger seat wasn't out of place

I'll be fitting this in the next couple weeks as well as stripping the interior. going to be welding the diff and fitting rack spacers before the drift day so got a few bits planned