Rb25det s2 no spark

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by orange_beastie, Nov 17, 2018.

1. orange_beastie

orange_beastie Pickup driftin

hi all ive lost the signal from my ecu to my coils.
    Ive checked all voltages and replaced the cas.
    I have 12volts to the white wires
    Ground
    Signal wire 0.6v
    Ive tested everything and its doing my head in.
    The engine was running fine usally took a while to start anyway.
    Then last week it would barely start and if it did run like crap only upto 1000rpm then it just cut out.
    Ive checked all wires and there good, ecu has all powers in the pin out and earths.
    Does the signal wires to the coils supposed to be +12v to make the coils work?
    My only thought is the ecu has died?
    Anyone?

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

When did you measure the signal wire voltage? During cranking?

3. orange_beastie

While cranking and not cranking most of the time its 0.6v or just a constant earth. Which is leading me to think ecu has died.
    Ive found another ecu and will try it this week so hopefully have some answers to try something else if its not an ecu failure.

Is there anyone with a rb25det that could measure the voltages of the igniter to coil channels to see what there supposed to be?
    As ive googling and searching for a week with no answers. I have all the original r33 manuals ,service manuals and complete wiring diagrams but nothing in them about voltages?

4. BenRice

The service manual for the S1 has the signal voltages needing to be 0.1-0.3V during cranking and idle, and 1V at 2500. Would assume S2 would be the same, but instead of going to the ignitor they go direct the coilpacks.

Getting 0.6V not cranking is a bit weird though, i thought a constant earth showed 0V? I had 0.6V as a result of suspected back feeding off an IACV solenoid. That fried the 12V feed that for the O2, VCT and IACV

Will measure voltages for you next time i get

5. orange_beastie

Cheers i do here a clunking noise coming from that area when i try turning it over with the cas ? Ill unplug it and check.

6. orange_beastie

Really anoyied now. Unpluged my piggy back ecu to make sure its not that and unplugged iacv and aac now have 0v on 2/3/4/5 and 1.6v at 1/6 coming from ecu?
    Either something is seriously wrong or ecu has died. But dont know why id be getting them voltages? Checked as many wires as i can but cannot find anything a miss.
    Anyone with anymore ideas to check before new ecu turns up?

7. BenRice

Cut the wires for 1 & 6 a couple inches away from the ECU and measure voltage there. If they are 0 then it's a short on those wires in the loom, if not then it's either the ECU plug or ECU. Double check the ECU pins for those are 100% not bent

I don't think the IACV or AAC should affect them as they aren't on the same circuit. I only mentioned them as they were on the same circuit as the VCT i was having issues with.

8. orange_beastie

After various problems and fixes i got it running again but only shortly, all 6 new spark plugs had died.
    Found temperature sensors are faulty,
    But if i earthed the maf signal wire it would run beautiful but not rev up.
    While checking voltages all 6 igniter channels are giving out between 5-10v when running and a couple of them with only ignition on are 1.6v.
    i know its only supposed to be 0-1v upto 2.5krpm
    Has anybody come across this or know what could be causing it?
    Its trying to start now but just dies constantly after fire up.
    As everything else is done and just need to get it running sweet so i can mot it and get it up for sale.

9. BenRice

That really sounds like a S1 & S2 ECU / loom / coilpack mismatch

10. BenRice

Potentially a resistor in the ECU could have failed, so instead of the lower voltages it's allowing a full 12v to pass through

11. BenRice

But normally when they fail they don't let anything through

12. orange_beastie

Thats my thoughts ive tried a series 1 ecu and does the same, on the original ecu and loom that came from my skyline, series 2.
    My thoughts are the mabe a feed to the ecu suppling to much voltage on an input and causing the high voltage.
    But I checked everything amillion times. Not having a another car to check between is doing my head in.
    Could be a break somewhere in the loom causing it but i cant find anything a miss?

13. BenRice

What voltage is the entire system running? Ie is the alternator putting out more than 14.5v?

14. orange_beastie

Alternator is 14.1v out.
    Been reading a few posts online and they sugest the igniter channels run at 9.5v? But the manual says 1v so god knows.
    Is there anyone that can measure the voltage out of an rb25det s2 ecu for the 6 igniter channels so i can see what’s correct?