another e46 drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Version 7, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

whats up guys its asheton. finally decided to start a build thread only about 4 years late but i figure better late than never right. this 328i was my first car. ive had it for a while now and have slowly been building it since I got it. always finding something to improve to make it drive better constantly revising something. picture shows its current state.
    some details on whats up with the car currently:
    akg poly 95a from control arm bushings
    garagistic poly 80a rear trailing arm bushings
    condorspeedshop trans mounts
    akg aluminum subframe mounts
    akg aluminum diff mounts
    welded 2.93 diff
    godspeed monomax coil overs
    unbranded adjustable lower rear control arms
    330i front and rear brakes
    330i axles (supposedly stronger)
    motorsport hardware 88mm extended wheel studs
    ebay catless headers
    m52 intake manifold
    21lb (pink top) injectors
    secondary intake ports plugged
    secondary air injection system fully deleted
    jb racing 10lb flywheel
    ebay unsprung 6 puck clutch
    sachs e36 m3 pressure plate
    garagistic seat rails and bracket connected to a momo daytona halo seat
    dnd suede steering wheel.

IMG_7995.JPG

2. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

a few updates from this week. been taking the car kind of slow making sure to get everything done to the standard I want. mainly spent the time cleaning stuff up and got a few parts in the mail few of which actually got put to use. and now for the picture dump.
    First the most exciting one for me. picked up a second set of m3 wheels to run a square rear setup (18x9 +27) on the car.
    IMG_8171.JPG IMG_8129.JPG IMG_8137.JPG
    got the transmission cleaned off before I put it back in. leaking rear main on the old engine caked everything.
    IMG_8186.JPG
    installed the rally road stainless clutch pivot pin replacing the factory nylon one.
    IMG_7972.JPG
    got some good stuff in the mail from pbm for the new m3 rear end setup. finally reinforcing the subframe mounts after 3 years of drifting the car and a year of all solid mounts.
    DSC01192.JPG
    and lastly installed the garagistic braided clutch line.
    going to try and keep up with these weekly updates as spring semester is already in full swing.

3. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

Late on the update this week, no picture updates but a few things have moved around and been ordered.
    The old rear end setup (welded 2.93, solid subframe and diff mounts, and poly trailing arm bushings) is tentatively sold.
    PBM subframe risers have been ordered, Achilles motorsport oil pan baffle ordered, and SLR aluminum engine and trans lowering mounts ordered.
    The old engine has been sold to a friend freeing up some room in the work space.
    Basically looking now at getting the oiling setups on the m50 swapped from front sump to rear sump then mounting the engine in the car to figure out what clearances will be like and building the wiring harness!

4. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

Big update from the last week. All ordered parts came in but nothing has been installed. Ordered and received a borg warner s257sxe with a .83ar t4 exhaust housing forgetting that all these ebay manifolds are t3. Its whatever though we shall reflange! Anyway heres some picture updates.
    Resprayed the engine bay for style points right? Ran out of paint on the driver side and got overspray all over fenders but who cares they needed replaced.
    Say what you will pretty stoked on the color and how it came out being my first big rattle can undertaking. need to clean some stuff up and finish the driver side but it looks complete enough in this picture.
    IMG_8355.JPG
    Turbo came in quickly and as you assumed taking it out of the box was very exciting. Now if only I could have taken pictures of it on the manifold on the engine.
    IMG_8412.JPG

Got the engine out of the tire on the floor and on a stand so it should be a little easier to fix it up and swap everything over to it. Also swapped the oil pan and pick up tube to the rear sump setup the car requires but it will have to come back off so the oil pan baffle can be installed as well as a drain bung for the turbo and a new pickup tube gasket. Ignore the mess I try to work out of.
    IMG_8414.JPG

5. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

Hey everyone I'm uhhh back from the dead. Caught the flu been busy with classes and wasn't able to get much at all done with the car. Spring break has allowed me to catch up on the car and finally update the thread so here we go.

Pretty bummed out when I pulled the water pump out to find this mess, but have spoken with some friends and decided it should be ok to just acid bath the engine and clean it out.
    IMG_8667.JPG

Managed to burn all the factory bushings out of the m3 subframe to prepare for the PBM subframe risers.
    IMG_9018 (1).JPG

PBM subframe risers all installed and almost ready to install just need to finish getting the diff and trailing arms together so I can put the whole rear end in as one unit.
    IMG_8801.JPG
    Also went ahead and threw down a "gold flake" rattle can paint job that I feel came out kind of nice.
    IMG_8775.JPG

Now that we're caught back up I'll be back to weekly updates unless otherwise posted. For more regular updates follow my Instagram: Asheton_Doud.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

Back again with another update. Spring break was quite productive so I have some content for a while now. The car is edging closer to completion and it's starting to be a bit more inspiring.
    To kick off spring break I took some time to finish the paint in the engine bay touching up a few of the spots I missed and smoothing out and repainting some other spots.
    IMG_9026.JPG
    Didn't get the greatest picture of it all done but I'm happy with how it came out, just a few things now to pull off the car and clean up, a process I started with the steering shaft. Quick little hand polish job with scotch brite pads and brake cleaner mainly to get the overspray off the shaft its self and make it look new. IMG_9027.JPG
    Afterwards didn't get much done but pushed the car out to take a decent picture of the car. Quite a few things left to clean up on this car but happy with how it is coming together and excited to see it finished mainly ready to install aero parts to really tie it together. IMG_9148.JPG

7. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

Back again with another update, still rolling in stuff from spring break that way I can keep updates coming in consistently until the semester is over. The car is coming to that halfway point finally where its starting to feel good to work on it and see progress towards completion. It has been interesting to go as far in as I have to begun to do. Painting parts that won't ever get seen replacing broken clips and rivets just trying to clean up the overall condition of the car up.

With the intention to cage the car I decide to work on pulling the interior out of the car of course nothing ever goes as planned and the wait time on getting the car caged was way longer than I had planned for. Because of this I have made new plans to cage the car but I continued on with pulling the dash as I wanted to paint the dash bar regardless.
    IMG_9085.JPG

Heres one last pic of the dash in the car before removing it to reveal the dash bar. It is interesting to see the dash bare with noting attached or mounted to it.
    IMG_9091.JPG
    Lastly the rusty dash bar and also the stopping point.
    IMG_9092.JPG
    These small projects keep me going as they are stuff that I can get done by myself without needing anyone else's help and it shows me a bit of progress, so until I can get hold of the tools I need and help from friends I'll just keep tackling stuff like this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Simon998

Simon998 Member

Nice, keep it going!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Version 7

Version 7 New Member

Didn't get too much done this week finished paint the dash bar and then reinstalling it with some "secret" tricks to get the steering wheel in a position I'm more comfortable with. As well as installing the new Bridgemoto JTCC wheel which I'm loving. Also got a picture mocking up the mtech sideskirts that ive had sitting around forever that I've just been putting off installing because I never felt like replacing the clips.

Progress on the dash bar out of the car and cleaned up before paint.
    IMG_9119.JPG
    Painted and put back together ready to install while you'll never see it behind the dash bar its comforting to know that its clean.
    IMG_9137.JPG

Back in the car and looking good. You can almost catch a glimpse of my "secret" trick. which really all it is, is just washers with longer bolts lowering the steering column to bring the steering down.
    IMG_9151.JPG

Dash reinstalled with the new Bridgemoto wheel which sits in a much more comfortable location than the old dnd race wheel no longer feels like the steering wheel is in my chest.
    IMG_9229.JPG