FIRST EVER DRIFT CAR / DAILY

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Jordi, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jordi

Jordi New Member

77BD57DB-465E-470F-ABC1-0FA4DEF24EB5.
    So as of yesterday I spent $4,000 on a Skyline R33 GTS-T. The engine has just be freshly rebuilt with only a few kilometres on it. The ad said it has a very tight LSD but I’m sure it is welded. We haven’t driven it far, only up and down the street since it’s not registered. We plan to make it a roadworthy car that we can take to the track. I’m only a young lad but it’d be awesome if you guys could give me any advice on the topic since I am still learning and know very little. I know the basics of JDM cars and engine jargon.

The car seemed to be making a lot of grinding noise coming from the rear wheels, I assumed that it’d be the welded diff but I may wrong. It sounds like metal on metal but we’ve only driven the car a total of 5 minutes. Any ideas?

What are the things I should do or check when it comes to making this car reliable and drift ready? (This will be the car I learn to drift in)

2. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

Don't overbuild it. Get it roadworthy, lowered on coilovers, diff, seat then just pay for seat time. So many people end up building cars because they think they need a million horsepower to skid and don't have the ability to handle it once it's done.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

As for the noise, jack the car up so both wheels are off the ground and the handbrake is off. Try turning the wheels

Either the handbrake shoes are stuck on, or one or both of the wheel bearings are toast