drifting a muscle car

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Joseph Vawter, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Joseph Vawter

Joseph Vawter New Member

I own a 1970 skylark custom with enough modifications to push my dyno to 473 wheel horsepower. problem is while drifting my car leans. so for instance, if I am taking a left turn sideways then the right side of my car is dragging or at least coming dangerously close to touching the ground. also, I have air suspension and was wondering what psi you all think would be best for filling them up to drift

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Jesus that thing wallows around like a pig, what sort of sway bars do you run?

Not entirely sure air suspension is the best for drifting, you may want to think about swapping back to shocks and springs or coilovers if you want to continue drifting with that car.

3. Joseph Vawter

Joseph Vawter New Member

Yes it is a pig. I just bought a hotchkis sport front and rear Chevelle sway bar kit should this help with my problems

4. r3k1355

Possibly abit, you'll have to try it and see.

Otherwise you might have to think about removing the air?

5. Joseph Vawter

Joseph Vawter New Member

I can try removing the air I will let you know of the results

6. r3k1355

Seems a shame to start pulling apart a nice old Muscle car to go skidding in.

Get a Foxbody Mustang and go practise in that, you won't worry when you drag the side of it along an armco.

7. Joseph Vawter

Joseph Vawter New Member

I have looked at the fox bodies but I'm pretty broke. I wish I had a nice rear wheel drive manual to get the skids out of my system (:

8. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

How are your bags plumbed? If the rears share 2 valves together they transfer air while cornering and make your ride lean over. Each bag needs it's own valves to prevent that from happening.