ITB Filters

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Tripp, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tripp

Tripp Member

I need a bit of advice. I'm working on ITBs for my Toyota Altezza with the plan of using the big pipercross sausage filter. I've done a test fit and there isn't room for it without making a bunch of other changes, like relocating the clutch fluid reservoir which I'd rather not do.

So, the obvious and simplest answer is to use sock filters. After having a read around everyone slates them, saying they cause a massive loss of power and will set alight and burn my car and close family to the ground etc which has made me very hesitant.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to solve this? I'm thinking of using long socks initially, perhaps 130mm in length (trumpets are 100mm). This will give me a bit of "breathing room" around the mouth but I've read that the velocity stacks draw a lot of air in from the side, so it could be fairly costly on power. Long term, it would great to find a way to have the big pipercross filter in place but I'd rather get the ITBs in and runing before messing about too much with the engine bay.

The Altezza here (http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/10/car_feature_gt_gt_chasing_the_perfect_altezza/) uses really small trumpets with a custom air box. I like the idea of the trumpets being more open and I think the shorter stacks are worse off for this engine in stock form, and they would have to be REALLY short to get the lip past the clutch fluid reservoir. Plus a custom air box would probably cost a fair bit to have made up.

Here is the filter I have bought with the backing plate to fit:
    DSC_0157.JPG

The area that is the biggest problem is around the clutch fluid reservoir:
    DSC_0189.JPG

Here is where the trumpets are relative to the reservoir:
    DSC_0182.JPG

And then mock up placement of the filter... needs to be about 2 inches closer to the firewall to line up:
    DSC_0188.JPG

And here is the bay with trumpets in for an overview:
    IMG_20190803_125657_289.

2. orange_beastie

orange_beastie Pickup driftin

Can you not just relocate the clutch reservoir with a tube and mini pot like off of a motorbike?

3. Tripp

Tripp Member