AE86 GT-S Caliper Hand brake / Parking brake adjustment?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by treerexaudi Official, Nov 6, 2019.

1. treerexaudi Official

As the title reads above, I am looking for a way to adjust the ae86 handbrake without touching the adjuster nut INSIDE the cabin that sits on the handbrake itself. I have maxed that nut out to the point where I can't tighten anymore (no more thread on the cable), and the handbrake still fails to hold me on a hill, yet it is trying to. The vehicle simply rolls at a much slower pace. My brake pads are brand new full of life, the brake fluid, and brake fluid secondary are topped off to the mark, and the foot brake works fine, (if pushed hard enough it can lock up the wheels due to lack of abs).

Sadly what caused this was my own stupidity, on a hill quite awhile back I had the handbrake maybe halfway up on a very slight incline trying to preform a hill start. I drove off after transitioning my foot from the brake foot pedal to the gas (regulating the clutch pedal of course while doing so), and simply drove off with the handbrake on for a good twenty seconds, I noticed a smell and immediately put the handbrake down, but by then it was too late I assume.

So does anyone know how to adjust the handbrake on the ae86 gts rear caliper, and not just on the side cabin? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

2. Irishtwincam

Irishtwincam Tá me sasta :D

Check the handbrake mechanism on the caliper, iirc they can go over centre and lock out.
    Or the shitty roller bearing inside is kaput and the mechanism seized, or both.

3. treerexaudi Official

By handbrake mechanism, I am guessing you mean the metal coil behind the caliper, correct?

4. Irishtwincam

Irishtwincam Tá me sasta :D

Yes, And the mechanical bits behind it.
    If I recall that spring (which undoes the handbrake) connects to a pin located in a roller bearing.
    Pull the handbrake and that rotates to pivot inside the caliper and push the piston on, I think, its been a while.
    Let off the handbrake and the spring releases the mechanism.

Inside the caliper, in the mechanism hidden the spring and its holder, the arm that does the action can go over centre, like your elbow or knee when joint locked. It needs freeing out, sometimes with delicate disassembly. If cable adjustment does nothing and turning the pin/spring as it shoudl does nothing its probably fubar inside.

IIRC its a PITA to fix. And the roller bearings can fall out.
    Try not to punch a hole in the wall if you decide to go at it.

It could just be the spring and mechanism behind it is seized and needs cleaning/greasing.

Anyhow its been years since I was around an AE86.

#4 Irishtwincam, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1