GT45 chinese ebay turbos

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Kearney, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Kearney

Kearney Member

I know years ago people had issues with ebay turbo kits but they seem to have improved over the last few years and you can even buy turbo from UK suppliers with a warranty. Does anyone have an experience running these turbos and in particular, on a 2jz?

Thanks

2. thebe

thebe Member

2 years ago a friend of mine had 2 eBay turbos. One lasted 100 kms and the other 10 000 before he sold the car. Ive also seen manifolds crack after just few thousand kms or one year etc.

I built my car for 4 years and If my turbo wouldve let go after 100 kms on the road I wouldve been properly pissed off.

If you want something cheap and reliable with proven results id look at holsets. Maybe even second handed If you can check it out before purchase.

Cheap eBay turbos are a gamble and If you get lucky, cool. But with the money my friend spent on the two turbos he couldve bought a brand new holset and the time his car was off the road while waiting for the second one was just sad to watch. Also when aiming for big power figures im sure holset has done more research and testing to make their turbos perform best they can than the Chinese have making copies. What about If/when your copy turbo fails? Can you trust the next one will perform exactly the same or do you have to remap your car? With cheap manifolds when turbo is replaced you'll propably want/need to get the surfaces re-skimmed aswell so its manifold off too with new bolts, gaskets etc. "Savings" out the window, big time.

Turbo and things related to it (manifold, wastegate, boost controll etc) can make or break a great car. I woudnt cheap out on them as they have a big chance of bringing way more issues than actual results. If you cant afford to do things properly Id enjoy the car stock untill you can.

#2 thebe, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

If it's a cheap engine then have at it, you won't be much out of pocket if it explodes. A 2JZ isn't a cheap engine, so don't put cheap parts on it.

If you want an inexpensive turbo then look at Holset.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnimalCrackers

AnimalCrackers New Member

I've ran them on several Turbo LS builds. They work fine. Dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. Seen over 1200hp on knock off turbos, sustained for a year+ of daily abuse before being sold off. Mine have all been EMUSA purchased, On3 or VSRacing ( who i recommend strongly )