Cat D purchase query

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by PerceptionNZ, Apr 25, 2020.

1. PerceptionNZ

PerceptionNZ New Member

Morning all, apologies if this is in the wrong group I can move if need be!

Currently looking at buying a 1999 S14a, has 100,000 miles on the body, full engine rebuild at 90,000 with new gear box. Some of you may have seen it, it's a show and shine spec car that has had no expense spared, full nut and bolt restoration and is absolutely immaculate. Deep purple s14a with airbags on bronze work CR2Ps

The only sticking point I have on it is that it is historic Cat d from back in 2014, it had a hit on the drivers side door, which insurance wrote off and the owner repaired and then commenced complete restoration.

Owner has filed and filed and photos and photos of build history, log book etc has kept the service history top notch so nl issues there.

Are there any issues with buying a repaired cat d car? Should this bring down the value significantly? Everything else stacks with it I'm just unsure on the cat d label

Thanks all

P

2. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

It really depends what you want from the car, there's nothing wrong with buying a category registered car if your buying it to drive, put miles on and enjoy. No one will look at it, do a reg check while your out or at a show and say oh this is category d registered so it's shit...

However, if your looking for something to hold its value for the future, that category d mark will always be there. However much someone puts into a car you never see that money when you sell it. I feel a cat registered car of the same spec as a non cat registered car would always be worth less in my eyes.... And it does put people off or make people question it like yourself...

You also have to ask yourself, how much is an s14 worth? Obvs same with all cars, mileage, spec, condition and rust determine this. At 15k that's big money for a s14, especially a uk car, it's not mega power but has had a lot of work put into it body wise and set up for show life with the air bags etc
    Have a look round and see what other cars a priced at, specs and condition.
    The only s14 I've seen near that money was an import with about 50k miles from new and absolutely immaculate, fresh import, cleanest I've seen, that was 13-14k
    You can still pick up a good one for around 7-8k, not sure on import prices but last time I looked around 9k to import a decent one...

I have looked at the advert of the car your talking about and seen it in person at japfest last year, it really is a stunning car, clearly had a lot of time and money put into it, paint is gorgeous in the flesh, set up for the shows and does stand out...

Of course this is all my opinion, just trying to give you a few points to think about and hopefully it helps you make your own mind up, it really does depend what you want from the car as I said....

3. PerceptionNZ

PerceptionNZ New Member

Thanks mate, I find it really hard to put a value on it because there is bugger all around in the same condition with the amount of work put into it. Yes it will be to keep as a toy and drive occasionally, however I would like it to retain value.

In your mind, what do you think it is realistically worth? I know it's hard to say and of course you'll never get money back spent on the vehicle but I'm finding it near impossible to put a price on it.

I guess any car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it at the end of the day

P

4. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

Yeah cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay.... A lot of the higher priced cars don't sell and are advertised for long periods of time until they finally drop.... Would you be willing to pay 15k for it?

It's got some expensive parts on it like the air ride kit, wheels, paint job etc
    Had a lot of good maintenance done and engine rebuild etc so there no question of how much the guy has put into it.... You couldn't buy one and build it to the same spec for that money

Personally I would be wanting a little more done performance wise like a turbo upgrade and Ecu for the price bracket it's in....

But that's me personally, it's up to you if you think it's worth paying the money for...

5. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

CAT D is (was, now there's new category declarations) a very broad spectrum when it comes to cars of this age.

It's a given that insurance will almost always write off the car for as little as a minor dent because they have to quote for new parts and/or inflated body repairs to as new condition. When Nissan quote whatever they decide to mash on the calculator that day plus bodyshop... it's easier and cheaper to write off.

On the other hand, it could have had a much heavier shunt, but was still deemed repairable.

Basically, you need to have a good look around it, like you would any car you are buying.