1JZ-VVTI Turbo Setup? Tomei Arms M8280

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by eroll_350z, May 3, 2020.

1. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi all,

First off, I know this question has been asked countless times, but just wanted to see if I can get more of an updated answer and because every setup is different.

Anyway, I'm after a bolt on turbo as I'd like reliability with some power, I have found the Tomei Arms M8280 full bolt on, good for around 450+hp. This is exactly the power I am after as it's a road car and not a track/drift car.

I currently have installed, FMIC, exhaust inc decat, air-intake, stock ECU and a Greddy boost controller.

The main thing for me before upgraded is to know about fueling, what cc injectors would suit best? Also along with the in-tank pump?
    Would the stock ECU be happy with me running 400+hp or would I need to upgrade?

Like I say, I know this question has been asked before but I will be very grateful of any input that is made!

Thanks in advance

Eroll

2. Trystan19

Trystan19 Member

hi,

I have a 1jz vvti I swapped into my ps13

Running Walton manifold, Garrett 3076r, ascu 750cc injectors, I currently run a stock feeling setup and just upgraded the in tank fuel pump to a Bosch 400 if I can remember
    The only thing im running is a link ecu, so unsure about your stock ecu

Made 514hp :)

If you need anything drop me a message on instagram, disordered.uk_ps13

Hope this helps
    Trystan

3. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi Trystan,

Thanks for your reply, that will be more than enough power for me (famous last words)!

The only reason why I was thinking of the Tomei turbo setup was simply due to budget.

I will take you up on messaging you on Instagram though. Thanks!

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Member

One thing I noticed looking into that turbo is that they say those numbers were achieved with the use of their cams. So even with those other bolt-ons you might not hit that number.

I'd really recommend also adding a proper ECU to that list. OEM ecu's don't really know when they are running larger injectors so they will run rich. Link's great, Haltech is also a good choice. ECU Master have some cool stuff too and if you want to be old school ApexI power FC's can be found easily. I'd recommend looking into them and finding one that meets your needs.

Pump would be a good upgrade as it's not that large to start with and as for injectors, Injector Dynamics 1050X's are good from what I hear, Asnu are nice too. You might be able to shop around and find some Sard or Bosch injectors out of something else.

5. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi Blitz,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. I'll definitely be adding an ECU to the list and it'll most likely a Power FC.

The power I'm looking to run is around 400-450hp anyway, so I'll be happy with 400hp if I can get that.

Thanks for the advice on the injectors and pump, I'll take a look a look into seeing what I can find. Injector wise, I was ideally looking to run 550cc or thereabouts so will take a look around for them as well. I believe they are side feed injectors?

Thanks again

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Member

Old Non-VVTI motors and side feed anything with VVTi (JZX100, X110 etc) will be top feed. So if that JZX100 in your avatar is your car you'll need top feed (looks nice btw).

Good news is that it's a super common type and a lot of stores will set you a set specifically for the 1/2JZ. If you end up swapping fuel rails etc I'd keep a record of any adaptors you would have been given. For instance the Radium fuel rail requires an 11mm spacer and when you buy say ID1050X you get the choice of 11mm or 14mm. If you're sticking with the stock rail etc I don't think this is something you'll need to think about but it's worth keeping in mind.

Another thing about that turbo. you'll need to trim one of the studs on the water pump. From what I've been told the actuator on the waste gate is much bigger then the OEM one so it's a clearance issue. I think it might be brought up in the manual. I dont think it should effect your choice but just something to keep an eye on.
    Edit: found it page 7 https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/628332/tomei-powered-arms-m8280.html?page=7

• Like Like x 1
  7. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi Blitz,

Thanks for confirming they are top feed, I have found a set of FIC 525cc top feed injectors along with a plug and play harness, also a walbro 255lph in tank pump. I'm slowly finding all the bits I need haha. Main thing now is the power FC, found a couple on eBay which wasn't too hard.

Fuel rail I'm looking to keep stock as I don't plan on running silly power and heard they can take decent power. Will definitely keep it in mind though if I do plan on upgrading it.

Wow, really appreciate the effort you've gone into to find that out! Wouldn't have noticed that myself. If that's all that's standing in the way of getting it fitted, I'm happy trimming it down, obviously providing that it's still safe to use!

You've been an absolute legend man, really appreciate all of your help with giving me brands to go on and what to look out for!

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Member

This is all second hand info from a guy I knew from Manchester cars and coffee. Guy had most of the Tomei parts installed and being new to JZX's at the time I was just listening to everything he said.

Might also be worth checking out JZXWorld and their facebook page. Lots of from people doing similar builds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Well you clearly listened very well. Thanks for relaying it onto me, now I've got a much clearer insight into going forward with the purchases.

Been onto JZXworld about a month ago but only found relatively older threads, maybe I wasn't looking in the right place? Will take a look and see what I can find. Thanks again.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Member

JZX world suffered a massive lose when it's server was shut off. They recovered it from a back up but years of posts were missing. It's a real shame the combined info of that site basically became an instruction guide on exactly what people needed to do for things like manual conversions, breaking 400 bhp and going beyond with 1.5JZ builds. The FB page became the second home but it's more content focused so photos do well but asking questions about particular problems wont get much of a conversation going.

This might also be of use
    https://toyota.epc-data.com/chaser/jzx100/
    so just select the model and you'll find parts numbers for (almost) everything.

11. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Oh wow, so a proper wealth of knowledge on there then. Basically a case of, if you're thinking doing it, it's most likely been done before.

Just checked out that link, seems very informative! I'll be sure to check out their FB page as well

12. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

I have this turbo to go on mine if I keep the car....

I've not run it so not sure what it's like, slightly worried cos I've been told it's laggy but I got it for a good price with a manifold and external wastegate setup so was a no brainier....

Tbh you could get 400bhp with just a hybrid build on the standard turbo which is around £650. My friend ran this with a manifold and mods similar to yours and achieved 450bhp at 1.5 bar of boost and it had super response with quick spool up great fo the road...

Injector wise if your on a budget you can run Toyota caldina 3gste injectors which are plug and play 525cc and you get around 1bhp per cc to rule so would do 500bhp ish on them if you had supporting mods....

Ecu wise power fc is the cheapest but is old technology now, it does the job but you'd always be better off spending the extra on an emu or link etc you will have better customer support and more people who map them plus better safety features to keep your engine safe....

Been told the standard manifold is restrictive too but not sure how true this is...

13. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi jackyg,

Thanks for your reply. It did come across my mind to go hybrid, but it's an old turbo now, I know they are super reliable and only start going when you push them above 16psi or so, so my thoughts were to keep it simple (he says) and go for a bolt on new Tomei. Main reason being I didn't want to run screamer pipe, then have to search around finding the best manifold, wastegate size etc.

I've found a set of 525cc injectors at quite a decent price along with a plug and play harness along with a 255lph in tank pump. Are the 3sgte injectors fairly easy to find do you know? If not, I'll start searching around. See how much of a price difference there is.

I've not heard anything of the stock manifolds being restrictive?

ECU wise, couple in mine, obviously power FC, link or haltech. I'll be honest, this is my first proper in depth turbo swap, so I apologies in advance for any silly questions that I may ask. Are there any major differences in them?

Thanks

14. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

When you hybrid build it, It's all getting rebuilt with a bigger steel compressor wheel etc so it will essentially be new anyway...
    My tomei has been rebuilt too tbh but I got it for the reasons you say cos it came with a screamer pipe and manifold etc so was worth it....

Tbh I'm not sure if they are that easy to find but they are easy to fit lol
    You don't really want too big injectors with what power your going for, you want the injector to be running a decent cycle not maxed out but near....

Just what I've heard but not sure how true it is... I've got a speedtek manifold it goon so will see...

The link and the haltech will have more features, depending which model you go for can have anti lag, launch control and that sort of thing plus safety features to protect the engine when stuff goes wrong.... Power FC is very basic...

• Like Like x 1
  15. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Yeah I suppose that's something to look deeper I to, having a hybrid. I'll take a look and see what I can find.

I personally wouldn't purposely buy a manifold if I were to go ahead with the Tomei, not a huge fan of screamer pipes I'll be honest. Would be a simple bolt on for me.

Yeah I understand, that's why I'm looking at 525cc and nothing bigger, I don't plan on running more than 450hp, if I can achieve that, I'll be more than happy.

Ok then thanks for that. I'll have a hunt around for some different brands ECU wise and see what I can find.

16. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

Try Midlands turbos... Think you literally pack it in a box and a courier picks it up, goes to them, they build it and send it back....

Fair enough man, screamer on a jz is the one lol I find them addictive....

That's my aim for now more than enough for the road....

Yeah try link, haltech, emu are pretty reasonable....

Go on garage whifbitz they do link and haltech, can't remember who does emu but it's really well priced.... Search it on google defo uk companies....

17. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

Just looked and garage whifbitz do the emu ecus bud.... Not sure if you've been on there but they have lots of stuff for the jzx100 now.... Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  18. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Funnily enough, whifbitz, that's where I've found everything I need really, injectors, fuel pump, bar the ECU, but clearly I'm in luck now haha.

Will have a look at Midlands turbos though, if they can do a good price then may be worth considering that.

19. jackyg rs

jackyg rs Member

haha wicked man good stuff

I believe it’s around £650 all
    In to go hybrid but there could be different stages so yeah give them a shout mate

• Like Like x 1
  20. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Nice one, thanks mate, really appreciate it.