MLR & NARDI Steering Wheels - Please help identify

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Arturius1, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Arturius1

Arturius1 New Member

I recently dug out some old stuff and found steering wheels I bought years ago. One of them says "MLR" on it - 6 by 70mm and another says that its a Nardi (has the Nardi signature, says its made in Italy and has a Nardi horn) - 6 by 74mm. I bought the MLR of someone and the alleged Nardi, I bought from a totaled Nissan Skyline R33 in a scrapped yard.

I don't know who made the MLR and can't find any info on it. And if the Nardi is genuine, I cannot find the model.

Does anyone know what the Nardi is? And, who the MLR steering wheel is or was made by?

Steering Wheel 1.

Steering Wheel 2.

2. adamsiors

adamsiors Member

judging by the quality of upholstery and fade of metal, mlr looks like generic chinese rep of omp. the nardi one definitely looks like optional from some car, just missing the center pad. probably wasnt made for r33 though, looks more old school

• Like Like x 1
  3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Second one does look like a generic, could have been in an Evo or something, MLR is one of the big forums.

Turn it over and stand on the centre on it, if it buckles under your weight you know it's only good for the scrap pile.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fraser Mac

Fraser Mac Moderator
    Staff Member

Id agree with the above, the MLR having the round holes and thicker stitch makes it very similar to the cheap kind on ebay etc.

The Nardi looks like one of the OEM supplied ones that would come with a plastic centre cover maybe? Would explain the lines stopping partway up the spoke.

Like the ones that come out of Corolla, MX5, Cappucino etc! Pretty real, If you're that concerned send us an email to the shop address with more photo and ill email our contact at Nardi.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Arturius1

Arturius1 New Member

Thank you for the responses, much appreciated. The Nardi does feel genuine. I've had it for years and its been everywhere with me, in storage under heavy items and so on. Its always come out looking and feeling great.

I stood on the MLR and it didn't buckle or bend under my weight. As a whole, I shall use the MLR on a project car in the future and try to put some stress on it before driving with it, if it puts up with the abuse then I will say it will stay on the car.

Thank you again.