Track car for both drift and grip (max 8k budget)

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Declan Robinson, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Declan Robinson

Declan Robinson New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a track car that I can use for both grip and drift driving (obviously with certain changes such as suspension setup and tyres etc...)

I need something that has decent power but is reliable so I can get as much seat time as possible without having to constantly be working on it. Would prefer something that's pretty light on consumables as I currently track my Subaru and its pretty consumable heavy and not the most reliable (also hard to setup with diffs and gearing etc... as 2 diffs are located inside the gearbox assembly)

So far I have thought about a Mazda rx8 (although not the most reliable apparently), older BMW's

Thanks for any input

2. dandadude

dandadude Active Member

No idea on your drifting experience so that makes a difference but if you are going to try and do both go for something with double wishbone suspension, if you are keeping it cheap then a little mx-5 would be perfect, set of knuckles and maybe a 1.5 way diff you could still do some grip days....

My s14 went from daily, to daily drifter, to pretty much drift only and even though it would be a laugh I wouldn't bother taking mine to a grip day, probably get over taken by much cheaper hatchbacks that are also having more fun lol.

Good luck either way :thumbs: