Tyre recommendation first drift day

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Twiggz, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Twiggz

Twiggz New Member

Got a spare set of rims for first drift day what tyres do people recommend, car is an S15 with 255/35/18 tyres on it. Do you go super cheap or pay slightly more for a tyre that’s going to hold up a bit better. I’m a complete novice have no drifty skills whatsoever.

Cheers

2. jbsauce

jbsauce Member

Get what ever fits your wheels mate and then cheap as possible to start, if you have too much grip just air them up, you'll probably be looking around 50 psi at first. A larger tyre will stand up to the heat better as there's more of it to absorb the heat imo.

3. Twiggz

Twiggz New Member

Thanks for the reply I’ll get some cheap crappers for me first go out then.

4. dandadude

dandadude Active Member

Having an s14 myself, thats a big tyre to learn on, you would be better off going for a pair of 225 40 18's, they will probably be slightly cheaper too but with a similar circumference. As mentioned above start with high pressure to make it easy to get the back end out then drop the pressure. On your first day you will probably spend a fair amount of time spinning so tyre brand and pressures aren't going to be as noticeable as say a couple years into drift days.

Good luck and have fun!

5. Twiggz

Twiggz New Member

I’ve kinda jumped the gun a bit and already brought some runs in the sale on here. Rita torques 9.5 ET12 same set up that’s on the car for the road just cheaper. I’m most likely going to go Santa pod for a DWYB day, looks like they have multiple areas to learn in.

6. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

Personally recommend Kenda KR20a's, they are fairly cheap, have good grip (bump up the pressure if you are struggling to maintain a drift) and last longer than anything else I have experienced so far. One pair lasts a full pod day (big track) on my cars and usually have enough life in them to drive home on too.