Picked up a cheap e46 compact. Recommendations?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Marshall98, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Marshall98

Marshall98 New Member

So the other day I managed to bag an E46 Compact for not very many pennies.

It's something for me to learn how to drift in and that it doesn't really matter if I slide it into a lamp post

Has anyone used an E46 compact for drifting? Any recommendations on any mods that are a must? Bare in mind it's not a show car!

Cheers

2. dandadude

dandadude Active Member

Same as any cheap skidder, get the diff welded, maybe a set of cheap coilovers, a bucket seat, smaller steering wheel if your feeling flush and then some spare rims and off ya go. Don't know if the compacts suffer the same as the saloons/coupes but the rear subframe mounts can crack/rip out so worth checking around that area if it's had any abuse before.

Otherwise book a drift day, give the car a good general spanner check, jack it up, wiggle the wheels to check the balljoints etc aint knackered. Check the levels, being a BMW check the radiator is good as they tend to like to turn into kettles with the stock plastic rad after getting hot.....

Good luck and keep us posted!

3. Marshall98

Marshall98 New Member

Cheers man I appreciate it! I've checked all the suspension components and to be fair all the bushes are solid and in good nick. Got the car off an old boy so lived an easy life.
    Will definitely check the subframe, I'm new to BMW's so have no idea on common faults. Cheers for your advice mate, this is a completely new world to me!