1JZ W58 Twin Plate Clutch Issues

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by kieran.js, May 13, 2021.

1. kieran.js

kieran.js Member

Having issues with the clutch in my JZX100. Car is a fresh import that has (from spec sheet) an ORC twin-plate clutch. When I pull away from a stop in first gear or as I change down some gears without rev-matching (second to first mainly) there's an awful shudder as the clutch bites.

The clutch also slips - I can get it to not slip at times if I roll into a pull but otherwise it will slip as I come onto boost.

The engine is mated to what I believe is a W58 instead of the R154 I was told it had - thanks ML Imports. From searching around I can't seem to find any ORC twin plates specifically for the W58 so I'm wondering if it could be for an R154 - are R154/W58 clutches the same?

If so could it possibly be a clutch pedal adjustment issue where the clutch isn't fully engaging? Or if the W58 slave cylinder doesn't have the travel to fully engage the clutch? I have zero experience with twin plate clutches and I'm wanting to know if there's anything I could try before going down the route of pulling the gearbox and possibly getting a new clutch.

Cheers