Dual Piston Hydro Handbrake Issue

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by KarbonK, Jul 29, 2021.

1. KarbonK

KarbonK New Member

Hello,

Installed a horizontal (dual cylinder) handbrake to retain ABS and run separate lines to the rear calipers.

All works fine, however when applying brake pressure on the foot pedal, the handbrake lever naturally bows down due to the dual cylinders wanting to push out, which in turn is/ will give more travel on the pedal as it’s not in a locked position.

Now the only way I can see to stop this is to add the adjustable stopper to the lever which runs to the base on where it’s mounting (seen in photo), however I am concerned when driving on road and circuit that the stopper will not stay in the vertical position under acceleration and braking which will allow the handbrake to go down under heavy braking again and potentially loose pressure + increase travel = danger of brake failure.

There really isn't a good handbrake design out there I have found which covers all the issues I have come across up to now.

I found online a better design with the lock in place which should stop movement of the level under braking.

Anyone ever seen an issue with this style of handbrake, resolved or have a solution?

A typical vertical drift handbrake must see movement under braking as it’s got no luxury of being able to put a stay in place due to it being vertical and not horizontal.

C602CE76-62AA-44C9-9165-683FDA86132C.

#1 KarbonK, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. oscar

oscar Member

Is that a 'stopper'? Is it not for a cable to be attached?
    My concern would be with hydraulic pressure pushing the piston out of the cylinder, l have seen this happen and the resulting wreckage from instant brake failure. Some master cylinders are supplied with a bolt on bracket that prevents the piston being pushed completely out.
    https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=4092&image=0

#2 oscar, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  3. KarbonK

KarbonK New Member

Update:

Ok I found one piston was pushing out when foot brake was pressed to due to one circlip coming off.

On inspection it came new with completely the wrong washer fitted on 1 of the 2 pistons.
    Luckily I had a spare handbrake to salvage the correct washer.
    What was fitted was a spring washer when it should be like a cup shaped washer (correct one can be seen in photo).
    This circlip acts as a stopper, allowing the handbrake to be pulled but preventing the piston from moving outwards when the foot brake is pressed.

However now, it exaggerate the amount of flex in the frame when the foot pedal is pressed which is being transferred to extra travel in the foot pedal.

Very poor quality and engineering all the way through! These are generic handbrakes which are widely sold by multiple resellers like Demon Tweeks, Compbrake etc…

I will have to redesign and reinforce the frame to prevent the flex or maybe come up with another solution.

39D3BCA2-334F-4A52-885F-07FFFE6E0689.

#3 KarbonK, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  4. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

You are the only person I've seen so far who's gone with double master cylinder. Let me know how this setup behaves and compared to single cylinder as I'm interested in the advantages. I've been thinking if I should T split a DIY handbrake that I'm planning on making soon. As for solution to your little problem I'm trying to think out of the box and maybe modifying something to the lever such as elastic band or bolt on piece of metal to act as a stopper to prevent it from going far out. I think there are plenty of stuff you can come up with that are removable in case you need to do something to the lever. Keep us updated