Dual caliper hydro with existing parking brake

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Connor Baxendale, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Connor Baxendale

Connor Baxendale New Member

Hi all,

New to the drifting and e46 world; I'm looking into dual caliper set ups for my hydro as I don't want to tap into the existing caliper lines.

Can't find much info on this but I've seen a comment somewhere saying you can't and shouldn't run the existing parking brake with the hydro. Anyone dealt with this before? Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work ‍♂️ I know the speed sensors need removing but I can use my phone for the speed. Tia

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

All the dual caliper systems I have found so far require the removal of the OEM drum brake system because of where the dual caliper bracket bolts to.
    You don't necessarily need to remove the rear speed sensors but you will have to modify most of the Kits you want to buy that are sold as Dual Caliper Brackets...
    Trust me from experience, don't run a dual caliper set up, just tee into the OEM lines and run an inline hydro.

If you want a detailed walk through of why, just read my thread:
    https://www.driftworks.com/forum/th...-fanboys-build-thread-pic-heavy.270178/page-3

3. Connor Baxendale

Ah okay I'll have a read through now!

4. Connor Baxendale

Sounds like some fun! Caliper came off and smash an alloy up!? Would yours being an m3 and mine a 325 make any difference? Always thought dual calipers would be the safer/better way around it

5. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been busy :(.

No difference on E46 M3 and non M3's trailing arm design but slightly different geometry, so I think you will need to buy a non M specific kit, they all look like they are designed the same way though (as in issue wise re the M3 and Non M kits).
    Used enough lock tight on them now that the bracket cannot come off again but the design was just so bad on the IRP one in particular. The ChaseBays design looks like the best one out there at the moment but still looks like you need to remove the OEM handbrake system (looks like you can keep the Speed Sensors...). In hindsight I would just have run an inline setup the same as my past cars but like you, Dual Caliper's seemed like a good idea...

#5 RozeTheHornet, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021