'81 Mustang Cobra

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by GerryMandering, Aug 12, 2022.

1. GerryMandering

GerryMandering New Member

Moving Day: I had this car sitting for about 8yrs. When we decided to move I had it up for sale but it did not sell. I thought since I have to move it I'm going to keep it. It's been in this state for about 8 years as I was busy with other projects I never quite new what to do with this one.

My interests are road racing and track days and I raised my son with cars. His interests lean heavily towards drifting and I had always hoped we could race together. Naturally I decided to build my first drift car and this is what I will build and follow in my sons foot steps.

It's a 1981 Mustang Cobra with a 2.3 ltr Turbo engine. It has the factory optioned T-Tops and louvers. It was really an unmolested car. 4spd. transmission.

cobra tow.

#1 GerryMandering, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. GerryMandering

The plan is to lower the front of the car 3” without changing the factory suspension geometry. To do this I marked up the k-member and cut 3” sections from the tops where the frame would naturally mount and gave it a trial fit —will need to move it back about 1/4” —sorry not familiar with metric measure —3” will be about 7cm and 1/4” about 1cm

70945ECE-F89F-4BDB-A7EA-75498034208D.

7A3937A0-00F1-4923-AE72-7796310FCBE6.

382EC045-08EE-486C-BC19-C9D686B34854.

3. GerryMandering

cut the extra meat from front lower control arms and extended the ball joints out two inches.
    con arm.

with the previous fab work done on the K-member the engine will now need to drop three inches and well as the centre section of the k-frame to accomadate the engine drop. This are needed to be reworked to allow for the steering rack drop.
    1k. 1k2. 1k3.

a trial fit of the rack relocate
    rak close.

Some full shots of the almost complete assembly. Looking forward to getting this area completed for a trial fit with the engine. Will need to box in the open area around the steering box as well as fabricate new mounts to install the rack. Once I get it back on the car I can the engine mounts will need to be addressed then paint and final install
    full k.

full k rack.