Is a single cat enough for a 1UZ?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Biggles, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Biggles

Biggles New Member

Hey guys, I've Googled tirelessly and can't find a solid answer to this question so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm swapping a 1UZ into an MX5 and due to space restrictions, it would be beneficial for me to run both banks into a single exhaust by going through the gap between the oil pan and bell housing. I'm still theorising and sitting staring at it but if I did that, I would obviously only be able to put one 400 cell sports cat in the exhaust. Would this be enough to handle the 4 litres and 290 ish horsepower the engine makes? I've never seen much information about how much power a cat can handle. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

What MX5 are you doing it to?

You won't need to bother with a catalyst on a Mk1 Eunos.

3. Biggles

Biggles New Member

Well it is a 92 Eunos, but I've heard various conjecture that that's not necessarily the case anymore, let alone the complication that it's got a different engine.

I have looked up the MOT manual but it doesn't necessarily say things specific to my situation, including that the engine is from a 99 Celsior so it's also import.

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Yea the MOT manual doesn't actually cover your vehicle.

I'd push the standard emissions test in section 8.2.1.2 with the MOT tester, because they'll never have any data on a 99 Celsior.

nAz9p4Z.