Alignment questions

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by agentsmith350, Jan 17, 2023.

1. agentsmith350

agentsmith350 Member

Hi , I have an R32 GTST that came in with shaged track ends and a few sketchy ball joints , wheel wasnt straight either so replaced most the joints and track ends and got it setup to stock alignment. Before this , although the wheel wasnt straight it drifted well to suit what i wanted it was very controlable. since setting the alignment its become much more snappy, seems to have lost a tiny bit of lock and a bit twitchy like its pulling more to straighten up.

Only thing changed up front was the toe as rest was not adjustable , rear had the toe and camber set back to stock specs as it had been wacked as far negative as it could by japan owner for wheel fitment.

Plenty online about what toe is but not much i can find about what the real world effect is when drifting , just wondered if anyone can actaully tell me which way causes what and why the car has changed the way it has , hoping i can put the feel back somewhat how it was.

2. oscar

oscar Member

Trial and error.
    Mark the rod end threads so you can return to where you are.
    Turn each track rod end 1 flat at a time and go try it.
    My guess would be that you need toe out but yeah, go try it.

3. agentsmith350

agentsmith350 Member

Cheers yeah as thinking i might just have to do that and see , Do you know what effect the toe has to how it handles ?

4. oscar

oscar Member

In theory front toe out should create less understeer. Going too far might make it un-predictible on turn in. Inside tyre is already turning in but outside tyre is prescribing a bigger arc so you'd expect initial turn in to be good but it might then go to understeer.
    Toe out on rear will make the car unstable in a straight line and turn in will be fast but un-predictible.
    Front toe in is 'safe' and keeps the car stable but it may be less responsive than you'd hoped for.
    Rear toe in will keep the car stable at speed but will create a slow reacting chassis and likely understeer.
    Experiment with the front and maybe have the rear set up at a shop to be parallel.