2JZ Manual Swap GS300 + NA-T?

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Lw124, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Lw124

Lw124 New Member

Hi, first go at a build thread so here goes.

After messing around in fwd's and hatchbacks decided I want something rwd after I had a play around in an is200.
    Always loved these big Japanese barges so picked this up for a steal and it's mint.
    Oh, and it's a genuine shed ;) 106810496_3373918455974103_8431080926593034810_o.

3 owners from new and a full service history. Very pleased.
    106619374_3373913245974624_663695275856419596_o.

Only issue is in true japanese fashion half of the exhaust has rusted off so it's unbelievably droney but I can live with it until I can get a stainless one made for the meantime.

So the plan.
    I'm looking at swapping in a 6 speed BMW ZF box. Heard a lot of good things and there's a few good adapters out there and it's becoming more and more popular. Will have the kit ordered soon.

And then eventually the goal is to go NA-T. But baby steps first.

Just trying to work out how to sort the clutch pedal and relocate the silly foot pedal handbrake.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Will post more soon.

2. counteract

counteract -o=me

Have a look through this thread. The lad has done a great job and has probably answered loads of questions you haven't even got round to knowing you had to ask yet!

3. Lw124

Lw124 New Member

I've been looking through that one a fair bit, it's great and the car looks mega! And yeah, loads of good info in it too.
    But the way he's done it with the pedal box is good but isn't for me. I'm trying to keep the interior looking as factory as possible so it's not noticeable to the untrained eye. I've heard of people using is250 pedals, is300 pedals and a couple others, just not much info was given for them.

4. MC Serge

MC Serge New Member

Doing a manual conversion on a RHD GS300 seems to be a bit more complicated then the left hand drive counterpart. I was unable to find an actual pedal kit for the conversion offered for RHD. The heater pipe locations on the firewall make it difficult to hang a clutch pedal because they're in the way. Additionally I wasn't impressed with the look of adapting to a hand brake as the pictures I found looked a bit cheap/out of place to me. This leads into gearbox choice. If you are are planning on increasing power in the future, make sure the gearbox is rated to that power goal. I would lean on a BMW Diesel box or CD009..... something that can take a bit of torque/abuse. I opted for an r154 due to the fact it would bolt onto the motor with no issues. I have no personal experience with the adapter kits suck as Collin's or ABC ect. Feedback from other higher power users of the kits, they seem to have some alignment issues and are whiny or noisy. Granted this is from older kits so maybe things have gotten better since then. I have read good things about serial9 kits for the CD009. albeit, you will probably have to wait several months for one to be made if you went that route. I ended up using a wilwood reverse hanging pedal with remote master cylinder, and had a braket fabricated for me that bolts it to the firewall/footwell. For parking brake, I removed the pedal and switched to a pull style brake from a early surf/Hilux. This bolted into the foot brake release pull handle spot with a little modification. Garage D was modified my prop length as well to fit the slider for the gearbox. It was definitely a process, took a fair amount of time and money, but I wouldn't go back. Hopefully this helps a bit. feel free to ask more questions of if didn't cover something