2JZ vs 1JZ - which is tougher? (yet again)

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Zedhex, Sep 15, 2012.

1. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Sparky, definatly keep the vvti.. Greg Protuner can map that properly.
    There's no doubt the vvti is better that non vvti.. It's there to give more torque the whole way through the rev range.
    If you are gona ditch vvti you should have bought a non vvti to start with..lol. I'll swap the non vvti engine Iv got for yours if you want non vvti.
    Only advantage of non vvti is its a lot cheaper to get an ecu, obviously to run a vvti engine you need an ecu that has variable valve control.

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

I have been tempted to swap mate but after the ball ache of getting the engine into my shed I really dont fancy getting it back out any time soon haha.

Nah your right, I'm getting a Syvecs S6 so should support VVT-i.

Reason I wanted to ditch VVT-i is so I can run 2 HKS cam gears, HKS timing belt and bling the rest of the engine up with purple, HKS fuel rail etc, might just spend the money on a Carbon VVT-i cam/.plug cover instead ;)

3. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Hahaha..

Don't worry about the lack of shiney cam pullys.. You won't give a shit about them when that beast comes on song.. I'd much rather have dem extra torquez than shiney pullys. You can still get an exhaust cam for it, Titan or Brian Crower do them I think.
    Do your research on valve springs, iirc you can't have mental stiff valve springs with vvti.

I am jealous of your ecu..

4. Karel

Karel Member

HKS makes good cams also for VVTi engine. Syvecs ecu looks to be on top, but also much cheaper ecus can control variable cams, speciály so easy controled like on 2JZ. If ouy sit behind the Wheel, what do you se ? Pullys ? No. There is something what makes me happy, and its not always visible, but i know there is something hiding in the beast ;-)

5. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

The only difference on the VVT-i is the inlet cam and pulley so can used a non-VVT-i exhaust cam and cam gear anyway.

And Syvecs is just an option at the moment but its looking that way, need to speak to a few tuners and get some recommendations.