350z vs s14 ?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by steezywatts, Jul 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. steezywatts

steezywatts New Member

350Zs seem to be rather cheap at the moment (around 5000) so was wondering weather it may be a better choice than an s body.
    Thinking about the reliability of the NA v6 compared to a sr20.
    although abviously the sr20 is more easily tuned.
    there is little info on 350z and how well they drift so any help would be great thanks.

2. docwra

docwra Active Member

350Z is better if you can live with not having more than 300hp. Youll probably need lock mods, suspension and maybe something with the diff but thats it, they are very good drifters out of the box.

If I was starting again thats exactly what Id do anyway, S14's are brilliant but they are a little fragile and rusty these days :)

3. steezywatts

steezywatts New Member

i havnt been in a 350z are they seriously lacking in power ??

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

No, not really.

5. docwra

docwra Active Member

No, and they have shedloads of torque from tickover as well, but the power delivery is a lot more progressive and without the kick in the back. They will keep up with a 400hp S14 on track, but feel slower in real life.

6. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

I wouldnt call 300 odd ponies out of the box lacking in power personally

7. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Personally I'd go for the 350z, cause replacement parts seem to be cheaper. A quick ebay search shows replacement wings for the 350z are £75 brand new, vs £80+ for a second hand s14 one.

Also you're looking at 287bhp / 274lbft in it's lowest spec, plenty of power and with stock reliability, what's not to love.

8. ZacKisBacK

ZacKisBacK Member

The gearbox and rear end of the Z are quite bulletproof, mainly the gearbox if you buy a 2006+ with the CD009 box. Good steering parts available and many other stuff. As these are parts that you break often on a S, this would save some money and any engine that you will build with attention will be reliable, as long as it's been done and maintained properly, either SR, VQ or whatever!

9. Nutter

Nutter Member

I had an s14........ I broke if for parts and bought a zed..... my life is complete.

Just.dont crash it or else it gets real expensive, real quick! And parts are hard to come by unless your prepared to travel.

Buy a zed come do a skid with me.

Tom

10. steezywatts

steezywatts New Member

Cheers guys. Tom 1 question, i have heard that the diffs that come in the Zs can give up and begin to slip when they get warm, and welding them up causes other parts to snap, hae you or anyone else have any experience with this ? cheers

11. Nutter

Nutter Member

What level are you at with your drifting?

Personally I could do 3rd gear entries at teesside with a standard vlsd. By the end of the day it did start to let go.

I've now welded my diff for finalboss and it worked perfectly all day. Haven't used the car for drifting much since finalboss but still pulls a skid and nothing broken.

Tom

12. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

I love 350zs drive well, look nice, most have good toys and spec out of the box its a good car but I'd spend the 5k on a decent spec s14 maybe even buy throw some cheeky offers in on some of the s15s coming up allowing enough to throw a sr20det and stage 1a(2a if super lucky) in.

I just find the s14 generation of cars more fun

13. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

5 grand on an old s body, id rather burn the cash. I don't know why people lust over them, they are mediocre cars for the money.
    Buy the 350z and enjoy.

14. Nutter

Nutter Member

Your money, buy what you want

15. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

because if it isnt rusty, broken 90% of the time, spends more time being "built" than driven then it isnt scene or being in 90s japan and anything else is a waste of money.

16. silverzx

silverzx Member

Drive both and get whichever you prefer?

Both can drift well once you've done a few mods.

17. Dedman

Dedman Member

With a welded diff and coilovers mine is pretty decent, I'm not the best, but it's a really capable car. Would definitely recommend them, as Doc says, unless you charge them you're limited in the power stakes. I might be selling mine for around £5,000 in a week or two, just waiting to hear back from a friend if he's buying it or not and the DVLA to swap my plate off :)

18. docwra

docwra Active Member

Dedmans is definitely worth a look if youre in the market :)

If I was going to do it all again Id buy an 03 plate 350Z, fit HSD's, exhaust, seat, lock mods and a 2 way and I dont think Id ever, ever do anything else to it. If I didnt have the money Id use it standard and add bits, Ive never had any problem with my diff locking and Ive had it sideways in 5th at 100+ a few times :)

This totally, theres no point having toys that you cant play with.

19. Nutter

Nutter Member

All I'm missing is an exhaust and 2 way in my opinion.

I don't think I actually need lock mods at the moment

Tom

20. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

350z is a odd one

well proven car to use, but...its avoided like the plague if a sbody is on offer?

so odd

There is the price thing, depending on what you need in the zed, be it cheaper cat d because you are only building to go on a trailer for drift days ..or the more £5000-£7000 mark for road worthy clean stuff, at that mark you do get sbodies with a fair few goodies.

meh guess thats "scene" for you