Rotary into an MX5?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by uncle silvia, Nov 27, 2007.

1. uncle silvia

uncle silvia Member

Ive seen rotary MX5s before both turbo and NA but was wondering if anyone knew how hard it would be to fit one and get it working, being that its all Mazda??

My missis has a 1600 eunos roadster and I love driving/nicking it from time to time! Great fun!! :thumbs: If things dont work out the way I want them to with the Insurance of the Silvia I may have to look at a different project!!

I like the idea of keeping it simple and having the awesome noise of an NA rotary sounding like a Pi***d off motorbike, so it should make it simpler!! :D
    Its a very small, lightweight, revvy engine which I think would be well suited to the little MX5

MX5s are really cheap now, particularly one with a buggered engine, leaving me the rest of the ££££ for the engine etc!!

This is my Insperation for a full track/drift toy....................

mori_rx7-img600x398-1174444576mori_.

mori_rx7-img600x398-11744446023.

mori_rx7-img600x398-11744445882.

2. munky

munky Member

you really are a strange young man scott.

3. griffo20022

griffo20022 Active Member

that looks well bo shank! To be fair I think MX5's are cool as frick cars, must have the hardtop IMO though.

Agree with you on the engine, a nicely tuned NA lump would make an excellent skid car out of the little things!

4. uncle silvia

uncle silvia Member

Just got ideas floating around in the abis of my head!! I like to do things different sometimes:D

Any ideas on how much work is involved??

5. munky

munky Member

At a guess, as space isnt much of an issue with an iddy biddy rotary, custom engine mounts, prop, gearbox mounts, errmm.... basically, get an rx7, rip out its guts and drivetrain and cable tie them onto the mx5.

6. uncle silvia

uncle silvia Member

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: :D :thumbs:

CUSTOM ENGINE MOUNTS = [​IMG]

7. munky

munky Member

hell yeah... half my engine is held in with cable ties.

I must admit I didnt use them as engine mounts though... for a couple of days I used them as exhaust mounts, they weren't very good.

8. Airbog

Airbog Member

I have just the opposite project in my mind. I've bought restored RX7 Gen II (FC3S) without engine, box and prop and now think about putting something to it.
    Firstly it was RB25DET in my mind, but think it is better for old 280Z or Z31 Turbo. It is problem to get some 13B roto engine with box here in Lithuania, so maybe my RX7 should be equipped with MX5 engine?

9. slinky

slinky New Member

I think it sounds like a fine plan Unc.. I seem to recall that there's someone on PH with one but he hasn't told us much about it..

As luck would have it, I've got a broken engine'd Eunos Roadster that I'm about to get rid of... want more info?

10. Airbog

Airbog Member

Yap, please.

11. Trotter

Trotter Active Member

everytime i see that yellow 5 it makes me think someone has smacked it hard on the head and it's tongue's sticking out! lol

there was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago, perhaps try checking out some of the nz or aus sites as they love the rotary.

mx5 with sr20 would be nice too :)

12. Mick

Mick JZX Pimpin

Here is another idea for you buddy. I came across this in NZ. I had a good chat to the guy and he reconed it was a really easy conversion, custom prop and a rx7 diff.

V8 powa

v8mx5.

DSC00730.

13. Shane77

Shane77 Member

V8 POWER is always the best choice, but for a small MX.......??? Dunno bout that.

If the guy says it's fairly easy to do an RX into a MX... do it!!! RMX FTW!!

14. uncle silvia

uncle silvia Member

I posted the same question up on pistonheads and Someone posted a pic of an mx5 with a Corvette V8 in it (see below) :thumbs:. I also nearly bought an MX5 with a rover V8 in it once!! :p
    [​IMG]
    However I do think that the heavy V8 will spoil the handling of such a lightweight car whereas the lightweight, small and revy little rotory will suit it better!! (power to weight FTW!!)

Yes ill have a gander at yer broked MX5 but im not really looking at the moment as im waiting to see what happens with the insurance payout on my broken silvia and I still havent decided what to do next really!

PM me if ya want :thumbs:

Cheers!!

#14 uncle silvia, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  15. suprmek1

suprmek1 Dori Mechanic

This is somthing I've been thinking of doing to my brothers car. If you want help with it give me a shout especially as your so close :D

16. Mad Cas

Mad Cas wrecked

Biggest problem is the crossmember, its big and beefy and seems to need cutting/welding for most transplants, the Rotary might be ok though, as its only a small unit. Also the MX5 has a brace bar running underneath, braces the tranny to the fiff and some other stuff, so that needs to be taken into consideration. Most people probably just bin it off, but its a good idea to put some strength back in somewhere.

17. suprmek1

suprmek1 Dori Mechanic

It should be possible to modify the brace to mount onto the new box. I wouldn't want to bin it unless nessisary

18. wadey1989

wadey1989 Member

looking at the pics with the v8 in it. i was at trax car stow at silverstone and there was a v8 eunos with supercharger coming out of the bonnet looked epic

19. uncle silvia

uncle silvia Member

20. Jebend

Jebend Member

:O wowzer!