LSD choices???

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by FC3Sleo, Sep 14, 2004.

1. FC3Sleo

FC3Sleo Member

looking for a 2way lsd for my fc3s, atm i am thinking of cusco mz, is this ok or is there better ones out there, and also do they need constant looking after?? ie rebuild etc??? atm i have a standard vlsd that is ok when its cold but a few drifts later it feels like a open diff!!! help me choose a real lsd so i can improve my drifting guys!!! oh and also where is the best place to get one??? :wave:

2. Hates_

Hates_ Member

I'm having my Cusco Type-RS fitted on the weekend so I can't really comment on how well it performs. The rebuilds will depend on how often you drift etc. I'd suspect drifting once a month would mean a yearly rebuild? The Type-MZ is a great diff from what I've heard and is a lot more agressive then the Type-RS which uses cone springs or something to apply the initial torque. The MZ is also a bit cheaper...

I ordered mine from http://www.greenline.jp cost me £660 delivered and only took a week to arrive after ordering. Although I was lucky enough to get it through customs without any extra charges (marked as warranty replacement part) but you may not be as lucky. Still would have worked out £150 cheaper then ordering from a suppler here.

3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Like your style :D :thumbs:

4. Hates_

Hates_ Member

Greenline normally just mark them as gifts I believe but that doesn't cover stuff over $50. Spent ages trying to think up a way of marking it to dodge the tax. Dawned on me that it would be very unfair of them to tax me on something I had already potentially paid tax for, had broken and needed replacing :D

5. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Nice one. WILL be using that one in the future :nod: :thumbs:

6. TwinturboCH

TwinturboCH Active Member

So are Cusco diffs kind of like the buddy club exhausts in that the rawer more tuned they get, the cheaper they get, as less refinment costs less to make? Or do MZ's not last as long? :confused:

7. Hates_

Hates_ Member

I was under the impression that the Cusco diffs are the best you can probably get!?! They are probably totally good for around 50k miles if well looked after. Kaaz are highly rated and cheaper at around £450 for their 2-way.

8. Jason

Jason Nurse?

IIRC the RS is the more suited one, as you can apply between 60 -100% lock on it.
    the MZ locks between 40 - 60%

therefore the RS is the one to have :)

9. Pulsatingstar

Pulsatingstar -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

10. Jason

Jason Nurse?

hmmm strange, i was told this by the guys at option??

11. Hates_

Hates_ Member

There seems to be a divide on this subject. Some people say the MZ is better, others the RS. Some people will prefer the MZ as its more agressive and others the RS as its more progressive (?). I decided to go for the RS as I thought the progressivness would make it more day to day friendly :confused:

12. TwinturboCH

TwinturboCH Active Member

What I mean is, with the buddy club range, the quitest, least free flowing exhaust is the most expensive and the straight through which is loudest and freeest flowing is the cheapest. I was wondering is the MZ better but cheaper because it is less refined or something? :confused: :thumbs:

13. Hates_

Hates_ Member

Oops, now I get ya :nod: I would have though so. The smoother application in the RS would probably explain its higher price.

14. Glen

Glen Active Member

Thing is I'm sure LSD's don't really provide a compromise as thats impossible. Bit like wanting full on Drift suspension to be comfortable :D .

Maybe the 'APPLICATION' of the RS and MZ is what you should be looking at ;) .

Glen

15. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

90% of people would think ANY aftermarket diff is horrible, noisy and scary. so even though the RS is slightly more progressive its still nowhere near as soft and girly as a VLSD. as for the MZ being cheap and cheerful, the MZ is really just average price, the RS is more because it has springs etc which are more complex and therefore expensive to produce.

and as far as prices go, Mr Tokyo is the man to ask:D

16. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

I have a very ungirly VLSD in mine ;) :nod: :p
    but yeah, totally smooth, no clanking and incredibly stiff :D