My BMW E36 M3 3.0L

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by goose, Sep 25, 2008.

1. goose

goose Member

been on :dw: for a while now and never done a thread so i thought seeing as im on the sick with man flu id chuck one together.

anyway, i come from a long religeon of fwd had a fair few rare and strange cars in my driving life more recently i had two fiat coupe 20vt's both tuned, one being 300bhp and one more 350bhp.
    100_4942.

gc10.

after having them for 4 years i got a bit bored and crosshatch tried to convince me into drifting and RWD but me being stubborn and tight i thought nah i couldent afford it and got it into my head that drifting was gay.

how wrong was i!

i borrowed his horrible looking skyline to do driftwest2 and got bitten by the bug, about 4 months later i had sold the fiart in favour for a bmw m3.
    i did have a look around a few s14a's etc but im a bit of an anti-jap man. in fact i hate jap cars :).

anyway, bought the m3 standard apart from a magnex back box.

PICT0006.

PICT0021.

just 4 days after buying it i had a bit of a barrier incident whilst doing some *cough streeto cough* managed to anialate the front bumper and push everyting back and bend the viscous fan, so i sorted all that out and headed to a nighwalkers only drift day at llandow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

101_6311.

i had fun and it was a learning curve in the new car. it was totally different to the skyline i had borrowed from marc late power band as opposed to a turbo nudge.

kept the car standard for a while replacing parts and getting it through an mot. i knew the car had some rust scabs but the price i paid for it was well under the market value so i didnt care much especially seeing as im a panel beater by trade.

started on the welding and body leading the arches and then thought sod it lets got the full hog so i prepped the rest of the car for a full respray.

100_0509.

100_0508.

100_0503.

100_0501.

100_0706.

100_0701.

after all that was done and dusted i had a new clutch fitted and a diff overhaul and over torqued and headed to pod for a practice.

dwyb3.

dwyb1.

anyway after the advice of a few people at pod i fitted a bucket seat and harness in order to hold me rather than slip all over the half leather vaders.

after that was fitted i thought sod it i may aswell get another and sell the interior to make som monies back. so i did, i now have two sparco sprints fia approved and a willains harness.

so after some other fellow nightwalkers decided they were going to do the licencing day in july i thought sod it i will too even if its just for the seat time.

IMG_0914.

anyway i sucked or should i say the car did (thats what im saying) due to a sticky and hesitant throttle.

me getting pissed off with it...

so needless to say i didnt get a license and it was down to the car, so i was told by a few... i have the skill but they arnet being used to full potential in a standard m3 with a bucket seat.

so after that i thought i would get specced up and sort out the on-off throttle probblems i have been having.

anyway the car has now had a few hundred spent on it and feels 100000 times better to drift and grip.

the throttle problem was down to split hoses a rich mixture reading and a knackered throttle position sensor.

the spec now as it stands is:

full custom exhaust system with decats
    full tein superstreet adjustable coilovers
    willwood hydralic handbrake
    fast road rear pads.
    k&n 57i air filter and home made heat shield
    x2 sparco sprint bucket seats
    1 willains harness
    de lensed headlamps
    bonnet locking pins (not fitted yet)
    xenon conversion 6000k (not fitted yet)
    Fire extinguisher (not fitted yet)

im going to wait until i do get a license as if i do there will be a full cage going in along with the other goodies needed to get through scruteneering.

some current pics as it stands now...

[​IMG]

look out for me in a future bdc event ***fingers, arms and legs crossed***

im sure there will be some more pics and vids to come!

comments welcome

2. Crosshatch

Crosshatch Night-Walkers

lol oh how ive changed you :p

3. goose

goose Member

i know lol

best watch your back the son i will be dueling with you one day and giving you a run f0 ya m0ney!

4. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

Ah goose. What till theother e36 is smoking its way past u

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

It is a sweet car to be fair, in a way...i'm glad you didn't do the jap thing

6. goose

goose Member

lmfao you got a looooong way to get rhysy boy!

cant knock you for having confidence, but trying to kick the back end out is a start lmao

7. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Nice seeing another M3 dude. Be interested to see how you get on with the Teins. Might be something I'm looking at myself in a short while.

8. goose

goose Member

the teins are awesome mate!

best mod made to the car, transformed it completely!

9. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

Is this a nightwalkers only thread?! :D I do love this car to be fair, the sound is awesome. Oh and it looks good doing burnouts in traffic.

10. goose

goose Member

lol looks like it boyo.

when was i doing burnouts in traffic lol?

11. sideways.taff

After the Wales Modified show.. well not traffic.. oh the sliproad after Bulk took us off the M4.. ;)

12. goose

goose Member

ahh yes that was a functional burnout lol to get the mud and shit off the tyres after all that grass drifting!

13. sideways.taff

yes yes whatever! :D I was dodging clumps of mud falling off Bulks and your car leaving Chepstow lol

14. Brooksie

Brooksie fuck off

very very nice car dude .. is there much difference between the 3.0 and the 3.2 in terms of power/speed ?

15. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Sweet, always good to see more M3's!

But...

Does that mean you've outgrown the standard M3 already?!?! SHIT. You must be a fair pedaller! :worthy: I reckon I am close to 95% of potential extraction in my 1.2 litre Micra, always learning...

Brooksie laaaa, they are close, see here for more definitive teachings : http://www.driftworks.com/forum/dri...my-driftt-question-post848110.html#post848110

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

lol, i was just about to post, but Will has said what I was gonna say.

no way, in a million yours, has your skills taken over the ability of an M3 with bucket seat and improved diff. thats a decent bdc am contender IMO.

you cant honestly think you need a better car that to even get a BDC licence...

17. goose

goose Member

no i dont think that at all stav/will

i was just going by my feedback from the judges there!

by no means do i think im fucking awesome but im modestly not bad.

but adding the new mods has given me more confidence to push harder and to improve.

i dont need more powers i can do fine with them it was just the 15 year old suspension and faults with the car that i think let me down on the day, atleast that was the only critisism i had!

instead of giving reasons for the mods maybe i should have said something along the lines of: i added the suspension cos it looks phat bruv...

18. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Yeah, fair enough, fooked old E36 M3 suspension isn't all that nice. Throw some bushes, shocks and springs on her and you should be about done!

Have fun boyoooo!

19. goose

goose Member

well i want to do a custom diff on it, im not big up on th etech side of it but its a 4 pack one or something? anyway it will give me 80% lock rather than the slightly over torqued 25%

and yes i do need a bit of pollybushing.

i was going to enquire about more lock too but i seem to be scrubbing on full lock now with 225's on the front.

20. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Yes 4-plate BMW Motorsport spec conversion very do-able, though a standard 25% lock M3 LSD with higher initial pack preload will work great.

PM chizfab on here for steering spacers for loads of lock... you'll need it, just space your front wheels out (or run lower offset wheels) to sort the inside rubbing, but then you'll need to roll/flare your arches to stop them rubbing the outsides! But well worth it.