1UZ-FE into IS200 ???

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Robbs, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

gonna be buying an IS200 for sure early next year so just wanna get some info/cost's on doing an engine swap

1UZ-fe engine = £500 or so

found this gear box kit, is it value for money or pricey ???

R154 to 1UZ-FE Gearbox Adaption KIT - Thor Racing (Japanese Performance Car Tuning)

what ecu could i use ???

what other parts will i need (ie: prop,loom, engine mounts etc) and would they need to be custom or is there off the self parts ?

could i do the whole job for around £3k (i know a good mechanic who could do the work fairly cheaply)

and lastly or would a 2jz-ge be cheaper, easier ????

:thumbs:

2. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

£3k and paying someone else to do it? No chance mate :)

You're up to £2300 with the engine and gearbox converter. Then you need to find an R154, that's another £150-£300. Engine management, you could use standard loom I guess, or buy something aftermarket like mine, that's £400+, with mapping another £400. Associated bits that you might need if you go aftermarket come to another £100 or £200. HT leads and stuff another £50.

Prop would need to be custom made, that's another £100. Engine mounts, don't know but would guess at custom like mine. That's more money as the engine has to go in and out alot to get it right. Then there's things like the exhaust manifolds, will the standard crap ones fit? If not then you'll need to custom make those, for me that was £600 for mild steel. Then the rest of the exhaust needs to be jigged about to accept the new manifolds. Does the gearbox come out in the same place? Doubt it, so you have to either engineer a way of getting it to the right hole, or cutting a new one.

Then you have all the associated engine swap problems that noone really hears about. Does the engine fuck up all the brake booster placement? The clutch cylinder, will that need to be moved? Brake lines? Fuel lines? Sump hit the floor?

Yaddayadda. Mine's set me back about £6k so far, and that doesn't include any labour charges, as it's been my mates chipping in to help... If I had to pay labour you could expect that number to easily double...

Engine swaps are NOT easy.

#2 SteveDunn, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  3. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

feck :confused:, back to the drawing board then cos i dont want to spend that much :nod:

what would be the cheapest engine swap to do then ? one i could use the current gearbox with maybe ??????

1g-gte maybe ??? but where the hell would i find one of them ???

bloody hell i really really want an IS200 but i'd deffo want more power :cry:

4. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

1JZ has been done a few times hasn't it? May be more "bolt on" parts for that. The main cost with the 1UZ is the manualising™ :)

5. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

wouldn't the 1jz still require the r154 gear box ? but i spose it wouldn't need the adaptor plate etc so would be cheaper.

really i need to stop having these fancy idea's that are above my station lol :wack:, but i dont really want a skyline or 200sx again and i want a jap car over 200bhp for around 3k so im a little stuck :confused:, 4 doors would be nice too.

6. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

The beams engine is meant to be quite good in the Altezzas.

7. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

yeah i'd love one but cant find a manual altezza for less than about 5k, an IS200 wiould cost around £3k and i'd imagin swaping a beams engine and ecu into one would cost at least £2k so may as well buy the altezza in the first place, so may just have to go carless for longer and save the whole amount.

8. bell

bell Without patience

is200 to me the easiest swap is a 3sgte from the mr2 turbos and if im not wrong its the same engine they put in the altezza turbo so shoulldnt be hard swap

9. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Go 1JZ its a "near enough" bolt in swap, my Soarer was originally a 1G lump much the same as the IS200 is. Just loom & exhaust was different eveything else was simple stuff. Get a Mk4 Supra W58 gearbox & bellhousing, job done.

Or go 1G-GTE lump, a few about & 300bhp is easy enough with basic mods. Mine went well with that in it.

10. YashioFactory

YashioFactory Active Member

RX7

Z32

:thumbs:

other options like Starlets, Impreza etc if you dont want RWD :euge:

sounds like an awful lot of money/work just for a V8 IS200. if you were doing it yourself, and fabricating lots then maybe it would save a bit.

11. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

your wrong !!! IS200 has a 6 pot, 3s-gte is a 4 pot and is the wrong way round :nod::wack: (3s-gte is similer to the beams engine in the altezza but nothing like the IS engine)

#11 Robbs, Nov 1, 2008
  12. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

if 1jz is easy then thats what i'd love to do would probably prefer it to 1uz actually although i'd love a V8, i've heard w58 gearboxes are weak though are they strong enough for 300/350bhp as that would be lovely power and plenty plenty for me :thumbs:.

what would you figure cost involved for 1jz ? also from previous questions i've asked on similer drift lexus said i'd need a seperate ecu for the engine and the IS ecu for everything else (something to do with complex electronics on the IS).

13. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

why would you even say a terrible thing like that :D

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Betcha you could go tuned 302W inc manual transmission for 3k if you doing it all yourself. Be faster and simpler too.

15. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

whats SBF ???? or 302w ???, deffinately wont be doing it myself though, wish i could but im stoopid :D

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

5.0 Mustang V8- 300
    Cossie box- 250
    Clutch- 250
    Bellhousing adapter- 150
    Inlet- 150
    Manifolds- 150
    Carb- 200
    Ignition- 150
    Good alloy heads, high ratio rockers, etc- 1500
    Labour making engine mounts etc- 200

Thats what, bit under 3k and 400bhp/380lbft/6500rpm on stock bottomend (inc cam), with over 300lbft right from the start of the revs.

Itd do about 275bhp and 315lbft even with stock heads, but the aftermarket ones are about 35kg lighter, and make the whole setup lighter than either a JZ or RB.

Electrics consist of 2 wires too, good times.

#16 Stavros, Nov 1, 2008
  17. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Active Member

Interesting........ :D

18. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

JZX90/81.

4 doors, already got a 1jz. job done.

be £5k or there abouts tho, mine went for £4300 and thats the worst example in the UK of a manual jzx90 i think (bodywork wise)

or there may be an auto around for a lot less, manual conversion isnt too pricey.

PM Kenny, he might still have his auto one for sale

19. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

aint got the money till next year just gathering info at the mo as i've got nothing better to do lol :wack::o.

yeah a JZX would also be a loverly choice but its a case of saving for the car then saving for the engine swap so i probably wouldnt have £5k for quite a while, thats why i was thinking IS200 cos you can get em for £2500 now, so at least i'd have a car sooner if not a fast car.

20. Nathaniel Taylor

Nathaniel Taylor New Member

Where can I get engine mounts for a 1uz in a is200