777s12

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Van_Denton, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Nismo915

Nismo915 Member

Loving the work going into this. I'm after a cool s12 , if you ever wanna sell her let me know

2. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

[​IMG]

Sent off my ECU to Horsham Developments and got it chipped, least this way I know im getting the real deal as I bought an ECU before that was supposedly chipped but turns out it wasn't!! They were really quick in turning it around, just a few days and it was back.

Really impressed with them.

Got myself the handbrake cable from the states, worked out cheaper too! so need to fit that and hope the caliper isn't seized.

[​IMG]

Got some stonechip for under the arch, never used this make before so hopefully good.

[​IMG]

This is how I did the arch, just need to properly weld it in then seam seal the inside then on to the overside, took the whole day to do this and make the inner arch fir properly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loved the nice weather today, need more of that! and some days off work to try and finish this dam thing!

3. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres whats been going on, needs a touch more filler work to straighten a few things out, blends etc.

The worst part of this was that I attached the additional inner arch to the outer arch first, then had to weld the inside of the arch last. It was a real nightmare. For the otherside I think I will attach the inner arch to the car first so I can easily weld that and then the outer
    Another micro update, had no time to work on this so very little is getting done. Im dying to drive this beastie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sides inner arch was really rotten, I tried to do a previous repair on it but it was really difficult to get a continuous arc so looked crap and even crapper when I flared it out and it just exploded with the different thickness of metal in the repair.

[​IMG]

Just have to make up the inner arch, this is the worst part of the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also borrowed my mates hoist so finally got the engine on the stand and out of the tyre its been sitting on for monthes!

[​IMG]

Cant wait to strip this down and see what I have, apparently low compression, need to be on the look out for all the little things to make this a complete running engine, shame I didn't get a running donor but this was too cheap to pass up.arch, hopefully that will be a bit better.
    right so finished off the other side, still needs a bit more filler work but I will do that later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did a bit of filler work to one of the wings as its a bit of a hack job as I used two crap wings to make one good one.

Need to look out for another wing really but just cant find any. £££If you know of any for sale let me know as cash waiting£££

[​IMG]

As ive been bustin my balls with all this dirty bodywork thought id do something fun!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the horn ring wont stay in!! so that's slightly annoying. I think there some stuff that comes with the hub to be able to fit the ring, need to have a closer look.

As the elephant trunk no longer fits with the new turbo I needed to make a new inlet pipe.

and also a ghetto beading tool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad for 3£ which was the price of the grips!

I cant seem to find a -4an m12x1 with a 1mm restrictor anywhere so I decided to try and turn my non restrictor into one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to drill it with a 1mm drill bit but it was too small to fit into the pillar drill so I used the little cordless drill, had right trouble getting it centered so thought I would center punch it! but that just made the little bit of weld fly off! so I abandoned that idea! lol

I just assembled it without the restrictor so I could start it up, it started first turn after not being started for like 5 monthes! Im getting closer!

4. m1key

m1key Member

Good progress on the car i like the grips bending tool will be making one of those.

keep up the good work

5. S12essex

S12essex Member

Really good work I remember when you bougth it and what you said you were going to do I though you would have your work cut out but your skill with your vw has helped you ha ha
    Love the build
    Shams you not ready for retrokings 31st of may at Snetterton
    I have a s12 stand their

If you fancy popping down I know it's a bit of a disance for you
    Love the rear spolier rare as

6. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Hey hi mate, hows it going?

thanks for the encouragement mate, yeah I really wanted to go to that and that was my aim to get it done and turn up! but I cant get a day off work till June so I doubt its gonna happen!

Hows your beasties?

7. S12essex

S12essex Member

Hi yes not bad thanks done a bit I have a stand pass so you can show it what stage are you at

8. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Seems like my image hosting has took a crap on me! hopefully it will come back.
    Got a fair bit to do.

Heres my list:

Copper washer and fit oil restrictor
    Drill out bolt
    Weld jacking point
    Tighten rear spacers
    Fit rear wing and body kit
    Fit front wings
    Tidy wiring
    Carpet out and weld floor
    Clean seats
    Windscreen chip repair
    Tighten everything
    Fill windscreen washer bottle
    Fill radiator
    Rear lights to change
    Rear lock to fit
    Bumpers back on

Have MOT booked for Tuesday but only have a day spare to do all this! Do you reckon I can get a ticket on the gate? if a miracle happens

9. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Doesn't look like this miracle is going to happen. :(

I just realised I never made a clip or bracket to attach the braided brake hoses, they are s13 ones and are really long, too long. Made up a bracket and tried different places but no matter where I put it the hose still rubs on either the tyre, the strut or the inner arch, so went for the inner arch. Put a little bit of silicone pipe on it, is this an MOT fail?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted the uprated fuel pump. Had to just cable tie it together into the cradle, I guess this is what everyone does?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a chance that a skyline fueltank sender o ring would fit! and it does.

[​IMG]

This did my head in alittle bit, Everyone sais you should have an oil restrictor for the gt28rs but I just couldn't find it in the right thread size, so I got this all the way from Austrailia not for the connector but for the little nubbin!

[​IMG]

which goes into this correct fitting of m12x1.0 to an4

[​IMG]

Which leads me to some sucky news.....the second hand turbo I got is possibly FUBARED. :( The guy I bought it off said it had a small amount of play which it has but it makes and awful whine, I imagine this isn't good?

If you watch till the end or skip to the last 15 secs you can really hear it as I turn off the engine.

Not sure what to do now, I guess I can get it rebuilt? anyone know of anyone good and very reliable?

Will try and drive it to the MOT station and see what happens, have tomo aswell to put it all back together.

Also the power steering pump seems really noisy and possibly fubared too! jeez.

Heres some shots of it, oh yer and the front suspension wont go any higher and the rear is to low for the shock which is bottoming out now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#49 Van_Denton, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Yea sounds like one of the turbines in rubbing. The gt is ball bearing so not as easy to rebuild but can be done. Looks good though, nice to see one of these getting some love.

11. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Cheers lokisy.

Right, building this turd back up!

Swapped the mk2 lights with some mk1s, I think they look a lot cleaner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is some mad carpet in here, its pretty rank and stained and a mouse has been getting freaky in there too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So just coming to the realisation that I cant take the car for an MOT and have the turbo disintegrate on me and blow the engine, will take it out AGAIN!!!

Probably gonna just bite the bullet and get a brand new turbo, only way I can be sure it wont be a shitter and that way it will be ready for when the SR gets rebuilt.

Its too low at the front, gonna have to see if I can either flip the bottom bracket on the coilover or machine a spacer for the top of the coilover to give me the extra 5mm I need to have a working car!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

heres some more piccies, had to take the turbo out AGAIN!! man I hate doing that. It makes such a god awfull whine when its running on the car yet when I rotate it by hand I cant hear anything, no visible damage either. Anyone know a good place to get it rebuilt?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Well..........

[​IMG]

Was wondering if the old turbo was getting oil as I took it apart and there was no visible damage at all. So I put on an oil line and disconnected the fuel pump and ignition and cranked it and not much oil came out! So took the connector out of the block and it looked a bit gunked up so gave it a good old clean and put it back, this time loads of oil came out! so now I have the oil fear. Will grab a spare line and connect it to the block and do another crank test to doubly make sure the turbo is getting oil.

[​IMG]

This was a pain to get installed as everything is in a different place. Had to modify the oil drain, the intercooler pipes and move the power steering reservoir.

[​IMG]

So its all ready to take for a MOT, I found a place that MOTS's lowriders! so I thought id take the car to see my mates unit which is all in the same army base. As I said before the road is terrible and it really bangs and scrapes, took a while to get up there. I will definitely either have to raise it at the front or get some smaller tyres. With the tyres I was going for AE86 type look I might of gone too big.

[​IMG]

I have really pulled the front wings out, so much so that they don't line up anymore hahahha, so im gonna extend the bottom of them I think, well in the future anyway.

[​IMG]

So just have to wait till I can book it in for the MOT, maybe Saturday morning.

14. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

IT HAS AN MOT>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahha

[​IMG]

Still got some things to do to make it a bit nicer to drive, the wideband doesn't work I think I destroyed it bu having in the exhaust and not wired up!!! but man im happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fixed the wideband and if its accurate looks like im running really lean, which makes sense as the MOT emmisions was only .1 c02.

its running 16 to 18 afr at idle but richens up when I rev it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So wondering if I have an air leak somewhere, I can here a loud induction roar from the intake manifold but spraying wd 40 doesn't change anything so I figure its normal maybe?

Also this

[​IMG]

So anyway stuck the lip on, just needs a little bracket to stop it drooping.

[​IMG]

its getting closer to an actual skid!

15. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Sweet did cleaning the line sort the turbo out then? And Id ditch that filter in the recerc system.

16. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Saw this at pod today, looked awesome man.