buying parts from forums?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by tequilagrae, Jun 25, 2009.

1. tequilagrae

Has anyone got any advice on buying parts from people on forums,

Ive never bought any bits from a forum before, whats the best way to pay?

The guy has asked for a cheque, then he will post the parts.

Im sure its legit as he seems to have sold stuff to other forum members but is there anything i should do to cover myself?

(Not this forum btw)

Thanks

Grae

2. Phoenix

Phoenix D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

I notice you have a Capri as your avatar, would it be Capri related parts?

Be careful, its easy to get burned. I have had it done tomyself recently for the tune of £400 which I am now chasing up through the courts.

If youre that unsure, do a search for their username on the forum posts. If he has ripped anyone else off in the past, they will be sure to make it known on the boards

3. JulesS14200

JulesS14200 WORKin it!

As above, be very very careful. Even if someone has loads of posts loads or people know him they can still rip you off :smash:

Will mention no names :D

4. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

i would shy away from using cheques. i dont trust them and the clearing times are mad slow

5. j-hamilton

j-hamilton Member

so far i've bought two AFM through forums (not here) both said to be working both don't.... wankers

so my advice is don't buy second electronics from smahed cars or AFMs

6. Boo_kong

Boo_kong aka boo_kong

i only buy off a forums if i can pick the item up.

but saying that i have had about 7 body kits from members of DW and all have got to me in the end.

7. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

dont pay by cheque, pay through paypal as you will be covered if the item doesn't turn up, ask if the seller is on ebay and get their username check their feedback on there as if they got a good ebay score then its a good indication they are genuine, if you're are still unsure ask them to place the item on ebay with a buy it now for you as then you are protected even further if item is not as described etc.

dont send paypal payments as gifts unless you 100% trust the seller
    ask for decent pics of items
    get sellers phone number and address (call them previous to sending payment)
    ask if collection is ok even if you dont intend on picking it up (if they're funny about you collecting it then they've probably got something to hide.

#7 Robbs, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

HAHAHA !!!

I nearly fell off the sofa reading that !!

:worthy::D:dw:

J.

9. JulesS14200

JulesS14200 WORKin it!

hes alive!!!! how you doing big man? And sofa, thats a good sign, I quit reading the hospital thread 6 months ago because I was too squemish :(

paypal is fooking shite! I got skanked buying a power fc and he closed his account. Therefore there was nothing paypal could do. I paid by hsbc c/c and when I called up card services they said go to paypal :rolleyes: Like you say if they stick it on ebay your supposed to get your money back, not sure if it works in practise though!?

If you cant collect, I'd try asking any mates or people you trust nearby to collect it and then send it to you :thumbs:

10. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

i must say i've never had a problem with paypal, i've been shafted on ebay a few times but paypal have always come trumps and refunded me, paypal even called me during my last dispute to ask what had happened, i told them item was not as described as its faulty but the seller is point blank refusing to give me a refund and they told me there and then that im a valued customer and they'll refund me themselves and not to worry about returning the item :)

i would also say safest is to collect but there is cons against that to, if the items a bit broke or something but you miss it when you collect and find out when you get home the seller can easily say fuck you sold as seen, at least with paypal you get more time to test the item at your leisure and dispute if nessacery.

#10 Robbs, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  11. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

Im getting there fella,

I wont hijack this thread too much, but I went in for my final ops to reverse the Ileostomy and sort a couple of other bits out 2 weeks ago and I was expecting it to be a walk in the park and actually it wasnt and has floored me a bit, but Im feeling better and walking again, and will be MC'ing at Brands wid ma bad bwoi Tim "Trouble" Marshall !! I can drive the BM as far as Silverstone, and should be fit enough for the Orange by end of August I reckon, so will do an EDC round or perhaps a TA as a guest driver possibly (not in the Orange obviously ;) ) !!

Back on topic I would deffo check out anyone on a forum and similar forums if they use the same name as much as possible. As far as Ebay goes I have yet to be burned but I guess it will happen one day, hopefully not next week as I just bought a pair of mountain bikes in Chechire that I need to get picked up so may use the "Forum buddy" system !!!

J.

12. kingj

kingj sliding it in

Its a gamble mate,I have sold a fair few parts to peeps off here and other forums and never had a complaint,in fact Ive had compliments:D:euge: but at the end of the day its gonna be a chance you take:nod:

And whatever you do dont get suckered into the "he a has a high post count he's sound" crap-it dont mean fuck all:no: just try to either pick up or get as much info and details of the seller as possible:thumbs:

13. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

I've paid for plenty of things by cheque, paypal, pickup, the lot. Personally I think paypal is the best way, then you're protected. I don't see anything wrong with paying by cheque as long as its a trustworthy member with a good history.

14. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

2 days now.

15. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

its called 2-4-6 clearing times, means after 2 days you earn interest and it appears in the account, after 4 days you can withdraw it, after 6 the money is legally yours even if it bounces. so it can take 6 working days, which is mad long.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

I'll be honest, I don't use paypal simply because of the charges. When I had an account in the past they sent me a letter sating I owed them £90 and when I contacted them to ask what for they wouldnt disclose that information!

Also transferring funds from a paypal account to a bank account takes as long as a cheque, not really ideal whn youre using the money sent to you to send the item

17. James7

James7 Member

Great advice guys :thumbs:

18. tequilagrae

Thanks for the advice,
    looks like the best option is to collect, its a bit of a trek but not too far.

Thanks

Grae

19. runaway_robot

runaway_robot Member

When you can use your credit card with paypal etc. Then if pay pal refuse to give money, go to you bank under the credit agreement act.

20. Morf

Morf Active Member

Yer don't assume paypal will protect you at all. Friend got stung for £800 on zilvia even though paypal favoured on his side.